Tin + Nga's Same Day Edit with Bridal Prep using the A7s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old August 18th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tin + Nga's Same Day Edit with Bridal Prep using the A7s

Used the A7s for some of the bride's bridal prep, namely the hair, macro, and reaction shots. The dynamic range is great although it's a bit hard to match S log 2 with Canon's Wide DR. I feel like I need to desaturate the C100's footage.

Graded using Osiris LUTs and Film Convert 2.
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Tin + Nga's Same Day Edit with Bridal Prep using the A7s

I was quite struck by the steadicam moves during the make-up, and your slider work again.

Watching the ceremony just makes me anxious, because I've shot in similar situations, and didn't find it camera friendly.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I see many a7s owners shooting s-log and then having issues getting the right grade from it, I understood the camera also has normal presets like standard or natural, is it not easier to shoot in those? Although I found the sde well shot and edited I found the footage to look quite flat. I think you should not desaturate the c100 but better to try to match the a7s to the c100 by using another image preset.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Tan View Post
I was quite struck by the steadicam moves during the make-up, and your slider work again.

Watching the ceremony just makes me anxious, because I've shot in similar situations, and didn't find it camera friendly.
I also loved the steadicam during the make up, as well as your ring shots throughout.

@ 25 seconds - the look the bride gives you is amazing... not only does it make me go, "wow, that bride is beautiful." but it also connects brilliantly with the viewer.

The angles and colours are great as we move on from there... I really like the angle where it's looking up, @ 38 seconds.

The hog roast is a beast, the iPhone shots are great.

Great storytelling up to the point when the rings are on by 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I like how the shots are almost taken for the edit... we see two-three shots each time that sync together well - revealing and explaining more.

Love the song choices, especially at the start of the second segment. The teariness; and finally, the announcement of them as a bride and groom on their walk at the end.

For a same day edit... it's incredible. Well done!
Craig McKenna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR