a6000 EVF-hdmi question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old July 4th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #1
Trustee

a6000 EVF-hdmi question

I recently purchased a Sony a6000 camera and love much about it. It feels great in the hands, is extremely customizable, love the dynamic range especially for a $500 camera.

I upgraded to the latest firmware (2.0) and am shooting video xavc.

However there are a few things that bother me about the EVF.
Since it's .7 magnified I can't get the full field of view through the EVF. Also when I plug the camera into a lcd tv via hdmi, the image coming through is the magnified EVF view, which isn't accurate and rather noisy (noisier than the actual recorded video or picture).

Is there a way to disable the magnification in the EVF?
And is the EVF noisy, or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; July 4th, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: a6000 EVF-hdmi question

EVF on A6000 has a 100% coverage. There is something wrong by you. Do you using film mode? Try to reset all the settings.
Ivan Mosny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: a6000 EVF-hdmi question

Thanks for the info, I rest the camera and all seems fine.

However, I have come to realize that the EVF is definitely noisy in low light.
However when connected to a tv via hdmi and not recording the display on the tv is the noisy EVF. When I push record the tv switches to the crisper live view image and is crystal clear and sharp.

Is there a way to display the crisp image on the tv via hdmi n just monitoring mode?

EDIT: Quick note that I found out that if I shoot in "Movie Mode" on the a600 I get the live view display which is crystal clear. When I shoot in any of the other photo modes the camera defaults to the EVF view which isn't crisp.
I was shooting in the photo modes usually "Manual Mode" since I can snap a picture or record video seamlessly. If I shoot in "Movie Mode" I have to switch to one of the "Photo Modes" to take a picture then switch back to "Movie Mode", which isn;t seamless and defeats the hybrid style that I would like. However it's good to know that the "Live View" works in "Movie Mode". Wish that then focus aids such as zebras and peaking worked in "Movie mode" like they do in the "Photo Modes" but they don't register when taking the image out of the camera to monitor via HDMI.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; July 9th, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR