A7sii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old March 31st, 2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A7sii

Hello everyone,

I have history with canon cameras but I was looking to move to maybe the A7s2 but I have a few questions. Right now I have the canon 5d2 with some EF lenses. After reading around, I cannot find a clear answer as to whether I will get vignetting using adapters(metabones,fotodiox,etc) with the canon lenses while shooting UHD on the A7s2.

The lenses are ef 35mm/2, nikon ais 50mm/1.4(with canon adapter, no glass), ef 50mm/1.2, 85mm/1.8 and nikon ais 135mm/2(canon adapter again, no glass).
Will the following lenses work on the A7s2 without vidgetting(using canon to sony E adapter) at UHD(full frame)?

Also has anyone seen improvements in quality using the odyssey 7q+ on prores & prores HQ vs sony's internal 4k mp4?

Nab 2016 is around the corner too... I'm in no rush to purchase anything right now.

thanks for reading.
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: A7sii

You should not get any vignetting from any of your lenses that do not vignette on the 5DMk2.
Just be aware that you cannot use a 'speedbooster' adapter, since that will create vignetting. Standard non-optical adapters should work fine.
Of course for your Nikon lenses you would adapt directly from Nikon to Sony mount.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! The Nikon lenses have a mount that let's them work on Canon. They will be manual which I don't mind.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd highly recommend getting a direct Nikon to Sony E-Mount adapter so that you don't have two adapters between the lens and the camera. Many of the less expensive Nikon (G) adapters seem to work just fine.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alright. Thanks again
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:40 PM   #6
New Boot

I have a commlite EF adapter and its been ok for time Ive had it. I do get a little bit of vignetting on either end of my 24-105 but It doesn't bother me all that much. I cant complain of the value you get from the $100 adapter but one thing that kinda errks me is I get alot of unwanted flaring/light leaks in certain situations. Sometimes it can be cool, but other times I feel it ruins my shot. One way Ive read of fixing it is to flock the interior but Im still on the fence about it. If you have the cash Id just get the Metabones mk4 "T" version as it has flocking material already built in.
Jerri Acuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

oh alright. Thanks for your input Dave and Jerri.
Old September 29th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello, I have an HDMI cable going to Small HD monitor. When I hit record, the camera's LCD goes black, but I see the data and the red REC. Anyone know why I lose picture when recording?

I also want the data on the external monitor.

My HDMI info Display in my menu settings is grayed out, and set to off. And the message: This function is currently disabled.

Lastly, a bunch of things are grayed out and things are disabled, and have not idea why.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by L.J. Morelli; September 29th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR