A99II is pretty great at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old February 5th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #1
Major Player

A99II is pretty great

I just received my A99II. Spent the afternoon filming a car in the rain. Played with 4k 30p and HD 120p formats. So far, I'm very impressed with everything about it. Really a remarkable image. In many ways, it's the camera I've been waiting for. Sure, the sensor is basically the same as the A7RII... but without the fussy handling of Sony's mirrorless bodies which has me constantly cursing at my A7S.
Old February 5th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: A99II is pretty great

Glad you like it Ryan. Sure looks a nice piece of kit.

A question if I may: does the LCD and the EVF dim when shooting 4K as do all of the other Sony 4K consumer/prosumer cams? I do hope they have moved beyond that, for me, serious limitation.

Cheers.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 04:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Also as far as I know its superb AF system that combines on-sensor phase detection with another separate phase detection, non-image forming sensor works ONLY in Program Auto mode AND with the lens aperture set at f3.5 or wider. Other than that it's manual focus only. A real bummer for any serious video shooter except for stills photographers who only need video footage occasionally and don't want to bother fiddling with the video control on it.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
Also as far as I know its superb AF system that combines on-sensor phase detection with another separate phase detection, non-image forming sensor works ONLY in Program Auto mode AND with the lens aperture set at f3.5 or wider. Other than that it's manual focus only. A real bummer for any serious video shooter except for stills photographers who only need video footage occasionally and don't want to bother fiddling with the video control on it.
I only ever use manual focus when shooting video, so this 'limitation' doesn't affect me in the least. Can you imagine someone complaining that their FS7/F55/RED/Alexa wasn't great for autofocus? Of course not. I'm a serious video shooter (i.e.: that's how I make my living) and I think this is being blown way out of proportion.
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McCully View Post
Glad you like it Ryan. Sure looks a nice piece of kit.

A question if I may: does the LCD and the EVF dim when shooting 4K as do all of the other Sony 4K consumer/prosumer cams? I do hope they have moved beyond that, for me, serious limitation.

Cheers.
If it does (and it may) I haven't noticed it yet. Still sorting out all the other settings.
Old February 18th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Just spent two weeks shooting photos and video at retail locations for a corporate client in Florida with the A99II. Conditions ranged from hot and bright outside to dark and weird lighting colors inside. Normally, I would shoot these with my FS7 plus a dedicated stills camera, but I decided to leave that at the office and pack lighter, bringing just the A99II with a Zeiss 24mm f/2. In total, I shot about 3000 stills and 2000 video clips in 4k. Very happy with the results and stoked that one camera can be so flexible. Really surprised that we haven't seen any obvious moire in post yet. Even car grilles have been clean. (Most of the 4k video was shot in full-frame.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR