Best way to batch transcode 4K files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old May 9th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to batch transcode 4K files

Very happy with the 4K files recorded on the A7II but struggling to figure out the best way to batch transcode them to a simpler format for draft editing on my "slow" mid-2012 Macbook Pro. What is the most efficient way to do this?

I am looking to transcode to the lowest draft quality possible so I can do a rough online edit on my laptop while working in the field then go back later and do a "proper" edit with the 4K files in Premiere Pro 6 (win) on my more powerful desktop computer when I get home again.

One way I have discovered to do the transcoding is via the latest version of Catalyst Browse that is free and gives the option of selecting multiple files for transcoding. It is also able to play back original 4K files at full speed without jerks after I found out how to switch the processing engine from the slower graphics card to the faster CPU that is great.

But so far I have only figured out how to select multiple files one at a time from a list. Is there any way to "select all" files in a folder for transcoding with Catalyst Browse? I understand "Batch transcoding" is a feature of Browse´s big sister Catalyst Prepare that costs $114 and includes a lot of other features I don´t need.

Maybe some other program can be used to batch process 4K files to a draft quality format?

I suppose an alternative solution could be to choose the A7RII menu option to simultaneously record 4K and proxy files that would remove this problem all together - but I figure this option would most likely also increase the processing burden on the already heavily loaded A7RII and by doing so end up creating more problems (overheating? battery drain? SD card space?) while recording than it solved. But maybe I am wrong about this?
Peter Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best way to batch transcode 4K files

Have you tried the 'standard' multi-select keystrokes in Catalyst Browse?

On my PC if I click the first file, then shift-click the last file I want, all the intervening files are selected. Or Control-A to select all.

The equivalent keystrokes seem to work 'most' of the time on my Macbook Pro. (On Mac it's Command-A rather than Control-A). Though I really haven't figured out why it sometimes decides not to work on the mac...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Edit Ready will do what you need though it is a paid software.
EditReady : Transcode Any Camera Source Without The Hassle
Best wishes.
Patrick Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the useful pointers! Happy to discover CMD-A to "select all" then "export" works fine in Catalyst Browse on my Macbook Pro (-:
Peter Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Also, good free solution for transcoding 4K to MP3 (-:

Separate but related, I also had to transcode some of the same 4K files to mp3 audio files for transcribing interviews and found a free program that I downloaded from the internet "Mediahuman audio converter" worked very well for this purpose.

All I had to do was drag and drop the original 4K files into a box, choose the output format (in my case mp3), press export and watch as almost straight away the converted files appeared in a new folder on my computer.

I am not in any way associated with this program but thought why not give credit where it is due.
Peter Lowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR