Recommend lens for Sony a7siii at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR
Sony Alpha a7s: Full HD Recording in XAVC and 4:2:2 UHD 4K Output via HDMI.

Old May 17th, 2022, 05:24 PM   #1
Trustee

Recommend lens for Sony a7siii

Hi all, I'm looking at the a7siii but would need your advice please. I wouldn't know anything about a lens for the camera. It's for recording weddings and maybe at some time getting a gimbal Could you link me to one please, I know you would say there is no one, do it all lens but it's one like that I'm after lol

I'd like one with good autofocus and good stabilistion, suppose in around the £800/900 mark, if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 10:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Recommend lens for Sony a7siii

I have this one and am happy with it, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801. It gets used for stills at conventions and for travel videos.
Old May 18th, 2022, 01:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie Easterly View Post
I have this one and am happy with it, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1369442-REG/sony_sel24105g_fe_24_105mm_f_4_g.html/BI/2855/KBID/3801. It gets used for stills at conventions and for travel videos.
Thank you Larrie, that's good to know,

Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2022, 02:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

There are a many youtube videos on all type of lenses that are "best" for the Sony a7 series so it's best to watch as many user reviews as you can to get a better idea of what is out there, a more important question is what focal length and f-stop you will choose as a do it all lens. The 24-105 has a good usable range but f4 might be a bit too slow for dark receptions, a7siii is a lightsensitive camera but you could end up pushing your iso up to 51200 in some situations.

I use a 24-70 f2.8 lens all day long on my main camera (panasonic full frame) but also do have one 35mm f1.8 prime lens, I don't like shooting with anything faster then f2.8 because it can be challenging to control focus on moving subjects because of how shallow your dof can become. The Sony tough does have excellent continuous autofocus but still cannot know in all conditions where exactly you want the focus to be. F2.8 is more manageable and still gives you nice blurry backgrounds.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 04:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
There are a many youtube videos on all type of lenses that are "best" for the Sony a7 series so it's best to watch as many user reviews as you can to get a better idea of what is out there, a more important question is what focal length and f-stop you will choose as a do it all lens. The 24-105 has a good usable range but f4 might be a bit too slow for dark receptions, a7siii is a lightsensitive camera but you could end up pushing your iso up to 51200 in some situations.

I use a 24-70 f2.8 lens all day long on my main camera (panasonic full frame) but also do have one 35mm f1.8 prime lens, I don't like shooting with anything faster then f2.8 because it can be challenging to control focus on moving subjects because of how shallow your dof can become. The Sony tough does have excellent continuous autofocus but still cannot know in all conditions where exactly you want the focus to be. F2.8 is more manageable and still gives you nice blurry backgrounds.
Thanks Noa, yes, I have looked at a lot of youtube videos regarding lenses and you know what, it confuses me more,what one ilkes, the other dosen't. I have seen both the 24-105 and your 24-70 f2.8 lens highly prased and the Sigma gets a good review as well. I think f2.8 might suite the wedding scene best and had this one in mind.

Old May 18th, 2022, 10:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I went with the 24-105 because I wanted the extra telephoto length. When I used the Nikon system I always found the 24-70 2.8 limiting and had to change lenses to get that little extra reach. There are always tradeoffs with lenses. With my work the f4 is just fine and the 105 gives me the needed reach.
Old May 19th, 2022, 02:37 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrie Easterly View Post
I went with the 24-105 because I wanted the extra telephoto length. When I used the Nikon system I always found the 24-70 2.8 limiting and had to change lenses to get that little extra reach. There are always tradeoffs with lenses. With my work the f4 is just fine and the 105 gives me the needed reach.
Thanks Larrie, yes, I see what you mean, good point.

thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony Alpha Mirrorless and DSLR