wireless lav mic for xdcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wireless lav mic for xdcam

Hey there,

Just curious about what wireless lavs people were using out there with their xdcam. I'm currently using a g2 sennheiser that has been giving me lots of problems (lousy mini-xlr cables, frequency hiss, confusing gui, etc) and I'm looking to replace with something more beefy and reliable. I know sony makes a "slot-in" system for this camera, but i'm having trouble finding more on it (like how many $$).

Also, what's a good actual mic to marry the system with? Some people say omni, others uni for a lav. I guess it seems like uni makes sense, but what do I know?

Thanks,
Max

Max Kaiser
Director, Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #2
Trustee

I've not used the drop-in in the last few years (I don't think they still make them) but the drop-in used on Sony's Beta SX cameras sucked. You're better off with an external solution.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Audio Technical Dual Channel

I bought two Audio Technica dual channel systems, then had a five pin XLR to twin 3-pin XLR cable made so I could access the front inputs. This enables four discrete channels of wireless recording. The mics that come with the AT duals are cheap, but they've worked well. Nonetheless I've replaced mine with Countryman EMW units. Omnis are the conventional wisdom for lavs. If you get the EMW mics, Countryman staff recommended the "shelved" version (gentle boost across the high frequencies) for typical lavalier usage, including concealment behind light clothing.

I got a "saddlebag" two hold both dual channel receivers which are available from B&H or Tai Audio. To control the cables to the front inputs I run them through the on camera mic holder, which of course will not be holding a mic under these circumstances!

Tip McPartland
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I had the same thoughts some weeks ago an ordered also the audioTechnika dual channel receiver.

The plug-on transmitter from Sony, which uses the WRR - Connectors under your battery is about $1500 i think. Just try to find it at B&H.

Greetings from Austria,
Robert
Robert Schemitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schemitsch View Post
The plug-on transmitter from Sony, which uses the WRR - Connectors under your battery is about $1500 i think. Just try to find it at B&H.
Here is the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/3results...s=wrr+855&ci=0

Note that you need the drop in case shown at the bottom of the page for the XDCAM HD.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Major Player

Sony also has coming up a new digital wireless receiver.

For more specifications take a look at this PDF-file.

Sony DWR-S01D

It will be released around february 2008. Price is not available yet.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I use a couple of G2's and have found them to be reliable and effective. I have managed to break a couple of the 3.5mm jacks, but then I have also had broken the lemo's on my Beyers. No small connector is that robust. At least the 3.5mm jacks are cheap to replace. Your going to have to spend at least 2 times if not 3 times the money to get a better system.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts