XDCAM software updates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM software updates

Hope someone can help me here I have tried to do a update on my Sony 330 followed all the instructions on thread provided by Uli Mors 21 June downloaded the files from his link to a LEXAR 128 mb memory stick when I switch on my camera while holding rec & select switch (clip menu button) memory stick access flashes a few times and thats it. Am I missing something here. Read about service switch behind the side panel is this on the disk side or the LCD side hope someone can advise (camera is about one year old)
Thomas
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

First off, the files on the memory stick have to be in the correct directory tree structure for the camera to find them.

MSSONY/PRO/CAMERA/PDWF350/

Should contain at least two files, f350at.rom and F350PK.ROM

After verifying this, power on while pressing and holding the record button on the front of the camera body and the menu encoder select knob. The camera should go into the software load routine.

The service menu switch is under the left side cover. Remove memory stick before attempting to remove cover as it sticks out and will interfere with the panel removal. The switch is rather small so you'll have to look closely.

When replacing the cover, make sure the dust seal is correctly positioned.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Greg
as you said I put the files f350at.rom and F350PK.ROM on my memory stick put it in the camera held front record and the menu knob and power on the camera I get the message Update block load a few seconds later under that message I get file not found and a progress bar at 0 and then red warning lights flashing and a warning tone but nothing happened so I turned the camera off and not sure what I am doing wrong
Thomas
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Are there different files for the F330? I'm not sure. OK, just checked same firmware for both.

You should also have F350fc.rom

Last edited by Alister Chapman; August 21st, 2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Same firmware for both
Alister Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Trustee

Thomas,

The files have to be in the obscure directory structure Greg mentioned. If they're just on the stick, the camera won't find them. I believe even upper/lowercase matters in the directory structure. It's very particular.

-MW
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

OK thank to all who took the time to help me but please be patient as I am not the most computer literate person on this site I have formatted my memory stick downloaded the files f350at.rom f350fc.rom f359PK.ROM from Uli Mors link I put these files on the memory stick on the yellow coloured folder MSSONY placed the m/s in the camcorder powered up while pressing rec and select I am still getting the same response from the camcorder Update block load and few seconds later under that message I get file not found am I doing something wrong or is it my camcorder
Thomas
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Quinn View Post
Greg
as you said I put the files f350at.rom and F350PK.ROM on my memory stick put it in the camera held front record and the menu knob and power on the camera I get the message Update block load a few seconds later under that message I get file not found and a progress bar at 0 and then red warning lights flashing and a warning tone but nothing happened so I turned the camera off and not sure what I am doing wrong
Thomas

Thomas,

I have seen this problem before. Try reformatting your memory stick in the camera (NOT with your PC) and copy the firmware files on it again (using your PC). This should solve your issue.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thierry thanks for your reply
I have reformatted the card in the camera and loaded the files to the card from the PC 3 - 4 times and am getting the same response from the camera anybody got any idear what to do now
Thomas
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Thierry thanks for your reply
I have reformatted the card in the camera and loaded the files to the card from the PC 3 - 4 times and am getting the same response from the camera anybody got any idear what to do now
Thomas
Time to contact Sony. I believe there was one other person who's camera would not accept software updates. Camera may have a trip to NJ in its immediate future.

At this point, you seem to have done everything correctly from what I can read.

-gb-
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Greg
But NJ might be a bit far to send it as I live in the old sod (Ireland) many thanks to you all for your input
Thomas
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Thanks Greg
But NJ might be a bit far to send it as I live in the old sod (Ireland) many thanks to you all for your input
Thomas
Ah well, you should put your location into your profile so we'll know where to direct you to. (hehe)

-gb-
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Ah well, you should put your location into your profile so we'll know where to direct you to. (hehe)

-gb-
Greg
Done as you requested never noticed that I had not included that
Thomas
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:29 AM   #13
Major Player

My 350 had to go to Sony, NJ as it would not do the upgrade, only 1/2 of the software upgrade process would take, they had to replace a board and they upgraded the camera software @ the same time. Took about 7 days they were way behind schedule wise.

You should be using a Sony memory stick, Try that. There is a MB size limit on the Sony stick as well, the instructions tell you what that is.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:25 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
There is a MB size limit on the Sony stick as well, the instructions tell you what that is.
If you try to insert a stick that has a larger capacity, it will give an error. Therefore, I'm certain he's using the correct memory stick. BTW, I'm using a non-Sony 128 memory stick duo that came with a memory stick adapter. I've had no problems with it for the past year or so.

-gb-
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #15
Regular Crew

My camera had to go back to Sony as they said it never had an update before and had to be opened and some internal adjustments made still waiting for it to be returned
Thomas
Thomas Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts