Trouble w/video out to Marshall at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trouble w/video out to Marshall

I can't get a signal from my 350 to my Marshall HD 7" monitor, connected to video out on camera. BNC connectors on both. Shooting 23.98 HD. Set camera menu to HD Y or component, neither works. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Is it terminated properly?
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

As Mike says check the termination. The XDCAM cameras shut off the video outputs to save on power consumption unless they see the correct 75ohm termination.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Major Player

The Video out connector is a Composite SD signal or HD Y channel.
The HD SDI connector is HD only. Does the specific Marshall monitor handle HD SDI or HD component or both ?

You can not get component out of the 350. Also if you recorded in SD (DVCAM ) format no signal is output from the SDI connector.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Emerick View Post
I can't get a signal from my 350 to my Marshall HD 7" monitor, connected to video out on camera. BNC connectors on both. Shooting 23.98 HD. Set camera menu to HD Y or component, neither works. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
As was stated, make sure you are terminated properly if the Marshall has a loop through.

HD -Y is just what it says. It's HD but luma only. However, you CAN connect this to a monitor that accepts HD component, using the Green channel connector because that's also the luminance channel. I've hooked up to a Dell 2405 using this method and it works fine.

Composite is just a standard definition baseband video signal. Will connect to any composite video input (the yellow RCA connector on consumer equipment). 16:9 is anamorphic in this signal so your display must know how to interpret it or you'll see a squished horizontal image.

-gb-
-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
As was stated, make sure you are terminated properly if the Marshall has a loop through.

HD -Y is just what it says. It's HD but luma only. However, you CAN connect this to a monitor that accepts HD component, using the Green channel connector because that's also the luminance channel. I've hooked up to a Dell 2405 using this method and it works fine.

Composite is just a standard definition baseband video signal. Will connect to any composite video input (the yellow RCA connector on consumer equipment). 16:9 is anamorphic in this signal so your display must know how to interpret it or you'll see a squished horizontal image.

-gb-
-gb-
I was assuming that he wanted a color picture to monitor not luminance only.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It's an HD-SDI IN and OUT monitor. I had it working 3 months or so ago, that's what's frustrating. I must have done something but can't figure what.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Emerick View Post
It's an HD-SDI IN and OUT monitor. I had it working 3 months or so ago, that's what's frustrating. I must have done something but can't figure what.
You said in your original post that you were connected to the video out of the camera. If you're attaching that to your Marshall HDSDI input, then you are in the wrong hole. Move the BNC to the back of the camera where the HDSDI output is located.

Apologies in advance if that's the connector you're using, but that's not how your original post reads.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ha, yeah, I tried both in desperation. Oh well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts