Looking to Add a Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 4th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Looking to Add a Lens

Guys

I am currently using a Fujinon HSs18x5.5RD-S 18x 1/2" XDCAM HD Lens which is quite acceptable up till now. I am faced with filming hunting shows where that animal could be out there a ways ( 200 - 400 yds).

Does anyone have any experience/preference for one of the longer lens, say Fujinon HS18x5.5BERD-S 18x 1/2" XDCAM HD Lens with 2x Extender or Fujinon HS16x4.6ERM 16x XDCAM HD Lens with 2x Extender.

I would really like a touchee feelee before I jump on this wagon.
Maybe a lens I haven't thought about?

Thanks again

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have not used the lenses you mention but I would say from experience with other lenses that extenders will almost always lead to more CA and do tend to soften the images. The 16x4.6 isn't going to give you what you want as it is a super wide lens to start with and only a 16x with the extender in it's only 47% longer than the lens you have now and not much longer than the Canon KH20x6.4 without an extender. The 18x5.5BERD is the same lens as you have now but with an extender.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jim,

I don't know what your budget is like, but I can tell you that if you can afford it, the Canon KH21ex5.7 is an amazing lens. Since it is 21x it has a bit more throw than your lens and holds up fairly well even with the extender on. Still, a subject at 400 yards isn't going to fill the frame, but you will get significantly closer with the Canon.

The drawback of course is the cost. We got one to go with our F350 and it cost as much as the camera body.

Best of luck.
Joseph Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Jim,

I've been using the Fuji HS18x5.5 BERD-S 18x 1/2" XDCAM HD Lens on my 350 since it came out last year and have had no problems. Some friends who have been shooting wildlife for 35 plus years have the same system. Perhaps you can find a rental agency and try one out.

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts