DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM HD disk robustness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/105217-xdcam-hd-disk-robustness.html)

Alister Chapman October 8th, 2007 08:36 AM

XDCAM HD disk robustness

I don't claim to be the first to do this, but you if your disks get dirty you can just stick them in the dishwasher.... Just joking.

Just to prove how robust the disks are I put one through my dishwasher.

http://www.ingenioustv.com/clips/dishwasherweb.mov

I wouldn't suggest trying this with a tape.

Thierry Humeau October 8th, 2007 08:46 AM

Excellent! I am sold.

Thierry.

Emanuel Altenburger October 8th, 2007 10:04 AM

Cool clip ... :-)
When I was a kid my first 8mm video-camera got a bit wet once (not on purpose;-) - well, and also did the tape become wet. Most of the footage was "wet" as well and I couldnīt use much of it.
Itīs really good to see how everything is moving on:-)

Mike Watson October 10th, 2007 04:43 PM

On the other hand, if the tape door to a beta tape pops open and your finger brushes against it, the tape is still usable.

Try that with a fingerprint on a disk...

Greg Boston October 10th, 2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 757130)
On the other hand, if the tape door to a beta tape pops open and your finger brushes against it, the tape is still usable.

Try that with a fingerprint on a disk...

I still like my chances with the disc in adverse conditions vs. tape. About the only thing Sony says you can't do, is get fingerprints on the disc, and even then you have to work at doing that (ie on purpose). I may have to test that theory myself!

-gb-

Mike Watson October 10th, 2007 05:57 PM

I notice that the more data you cram on a disk, the less forgiving it is. You can really manhandle a CD, and still listen to it. DVDs are more sensitive, and will deal with light scratches, but get very finicky. XDCam has very little tolerance.

Twice I've had a disk pop out of the camera (or deck) with the doors stuck open and fingerprinted the disk. First one was unrecoverable; second one I took a cotton pad and alcohol and wiped away the print, and pried the doors closed.

It's a similar give and take with cell phones... analog phones, you got snow all the time -- it was like being on a walkie talkie. Now with digital phones, it's much clearer! But down at the bottom of that valley... g'bye! Dropped call.

Matthew Ernest Adams October 11th, 2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 757152)
I notice that the more data you cram on a disk, the less forgiving it is. You can really manhandle a CD, and still listen to it. DVDs are more sensitive, and will deal with light scratches, but get very finicky. XDCam has very little tolerance.

Twice I've had a disk pop out of the camera (or deck) with the doors stuck open and fingerprinted the disk. First one was unrecoverable; second one I took a cotton pad and alcohol and wiped away the print, and pried the doors closed.

It's a similar give and take with cell phones... analog phones, you got snow all the time -- it was like being on a walkie talkie. Now with digital phones, it's much clearer! But down at the bottom of that valley... g'bye! Dropped call.

My staff of 19 photogs and myself have been using XDCAM HD (PDW-F350's + both deck styles), producing local news on a daily basis with 10 edit bays, 5 live trucks and a sat truck and multiple logging XD decks and have NEVER had this happen. Not saying it didn't, just stating that out of the many, many times discs have been ejected over the past year (thousands+) we never had a disc exposed. Only two that I'm aware of were supposedly corrupted, but I never laid eyes on them myself (heard about it through a Canopus tech).

Mike Watson October 11th, 2007 01:13 PM

My staff of 25 photogs, 8 live trucks, one satellite truck and a helicopter have seen a few fingerprints, and a few problems. Given the choice, I'd stiill choose XDCam instead of Beta - I love the format, and the options. I merely dispute the fact that disk is without problems.

Greg Boston October 11th, 2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 757152)

Mind boggling. That's the first I've ever heard of that happening. BTW, you don't have to pry the doors shut, just roll the toothed gear on the edge of the disc until you hear a distinct 'click' as the door latch engages.

Out of curiosity, are you using Sony branded discs, or one of the other three brands.

Simon Wyndham October 11th, 2007 03:55 PM

Great video Alister.

Regarding disc doors getting stuck open, I have never had this happen, and this is the first I've known of it.

However news camera people are worse than toddlers for being able to find ways to destroy stuff, so I'll put it down to that! ;-)

Simon Wyndham October 11th, 2007 04:04 PM

I should add though Mike that you should be able to wipe the fingerprint off the disc. The surface of those things are harder than diamond so the chances of scratching them is pretty remote.

Mike Watson October 12th, 2007 12:12 AM

We're using the Sony branded disks. It's happened to me personally once, and we had to retire the disk. As much of an issue as it's turning into in this thread, I don't really consider it that much of a problem. Like I said, I'd buy again.

Alister Chapman October 12th, 2007 01:12 AM

The TDK disks are supposed to be tougher than the sony disks. The disk I washed was a Sony one. I have been at a dealer conference and the disk got passed around, opened up, had finger prints all over the disk and after wiping off the prints it still works. I wouldn't use it again for anything else, but I can still play back the clips.

When I was storm chasing last year we were in Mini Cooper that was all but destroyed in a hail storm. The car was full of hail, which melted soaking everything including a months worth of rushes. My HDV tapes were ruined while my XDCAM HD disks were fine once dried off.

Simon Wyndham October 12th, 2007 01:18 AM

Mike, there must be something going on with the cameras that you use for you to have this issue across your whole staff and cameras while to my knowledge I haven't heard of this problem elsewhere. This shouldn't be happening at all.

All I can think is that either;

1. You've had a dodgy batch of discs.
2. The discs are getting seriously mistreated (how did finger prints get on the disc surface anyway?)
3. There is something seriously amiss with your drive mechanism and it isn't properly making contact with the geared part of the disc that opens and closes the door.

Whatever the case this problem shouldn't be ocurring at all, even on a very infrequent basis and IMHO either the equipment or something your crew is doing needs looking at to get to the bottom of it.

Uli Mors October 12th, 2007 02:31 AM

fantastic video!!

How about putting the cam in the diswasher?

just kiddinī ;-)

ULi