Transfer DVCam from F350 to PD150? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transfer DVCam from F350 to PD150?

Hi, I'm doing a shoot tomorrow for a client who will shoot secondary footage on a Sony PD 150. He doesn't have an XDCam machine and I was wondering if it is possible or practical to dub my F350 footage over to his PD150 via firewire? The alternative is a Betacam SP dub.
Thanks, Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #2
New Boot

If the PD150 supports firewire in then it shouldn't be a problem. Just put the 350s firewiremode in video (not FAM) and if you shot in SD you can transfer immediately. If you shot in HD then set the HDtoSD output for firewire to ON and your HD material is downconverted to SD-DV.

Since you stay in the digital realm I would prefer this solution anytime as opposed to a BetaSP dump.

Have a good one tomorrow,

Ron
Ron Exalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Major Player

I just had a try with a pdw-f330 -> VX2000 (= PD150)

It works easily. Only thing is that the pd150 will probably start with its own timecode instead "copying" the TC coming from the XDCAM HD.

Make sure to use a proper cable - I could not get a 6/6 pin Firewire cable + Adapter (->4pin) working. After I found the right 6/4 pin cable (with no Adapters) it worked at once. Simply put the PD150 into VCR Mode like you would do when connected to a NLE via Firewire.

Kind Regards

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Watch out for the audio-channels. If you set the 350 in the firewire-out 4Ch mode, you will only have 12bit audio channels on your PD150.
Robert Schemitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the responses! I picked up a 6 to 4 firewire cable yesterday, and I should be all set.
Good call on the four channel mode Robert, I check that out.

Would any "cheap" camcorder do the same thing? The reason that I ask is, if that was the case I could look around for an older used camcorder for doing this sort of dubbing. Might come in hand from time to time.

Peter
Old October 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I would guess so - as long it has "DV in"

I purchased a VX1000 as a backup recorder / cam in the past - but the VX2000s drive feels better and more robust. Perhaps you shouldnt go for the very cheapest option...

ULi
Old October 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom View Post
Thanks for all the responses! I picked up a 6 to 4 firewire cable yesterday, and I should be all set.
Good call on the four channel mode Robert, I check that out.

Would any "cheap" camcorder do the same thing? The reason that I ask is, if that was the case I could look around for an older used camcorder for doing this sort of dubbing. Might come in hand from time to time.

Peter
I've done it with my Pana 953. However, you should use the PD150 because it supports DVCAM recording. Less time per tape, but has locked audio. I would need to check, but I believe DVCAM mode on the PD150 would also allow for 4 channels to remain at 16bit/48khz like it is on the F350. That's part of the reason you only get 40 minutes on a mini-dv cassette with DVCAM.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Well the shoot and the transfer went well. Just hooked up the firewire and made to dub.
Thanks everyone.

Peter
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
I've done it with my Pana 953. However, you should use the PD150 because it supports DVCAM recording. Less time per tape, but has locked audio. I would need to check, but I believe DVCAM mode on the PD150 would also allow for 4 channels to remain at 16bit/48khz like it is on the F350. That's part of the reason you only get 40 minutes on a mini-dv cassette with DVCAM.

-gb-

Tape DVCam cameras and decks can only record 4 ch at 32khz. The reason, you can fit only 40 min. on a small DV tape when recording in DVCam is not due to audio quality but instead to the wider recording track pitch of the DVCam format.

T.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

DVCAM 4 channel audio is the same as DV, 12bit, crummy quality.
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #11
Major Player

Well - in the worst case you could think about exporting the 16 bit audio from your NLE and send it to your customer as WAV oder AIFF files - so he could archive the higher quality audio as well with its 12bit DV/DVCAM 4ch tapes.

ULI
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I just transfered two channels of audio so it should be ok. I'll know after I get some feedback from the the client.

Peter
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts