Help. Client edits with Premier? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Help. Client edits with Premier?

I am working with a client next week and they edit using Premier. We are shooting using the F330 in DV mode. I am going to copy all the XDCAM discs straight to USB disc for them. If they use the Sony browser software can they export files that will be editable in Premier. Hope that makes sense!!!
Richard Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

The short answer is no. The proxy browser allows partial file ingest from the disc so that you don't have unneeded high resolution material on your hard drive. But the ingested file will still be in MXF format and Premiere doesn't support MXF files.

Shooting in SD, you have the option of ingesting the files on your own system and then saving them as .DV files. I believe both Windows and Mac can work with .DV files. They are a straight output of the DV codec so that no further compression occurs to the source material. These could be put on a portable drive although I'm not sure Premiere Pro will work with these files either.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #3
New Boot

So if you use the Sony browser software for PC to extract the DV25 files it doesn't create files that are ready to use in Premier?
Richard Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gillespie View Post
So if you use the Sony browser software for PC to extract the DV25 files it doesn't create files that are ready to use in Premier?
That is correct.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #5
Major Player

Just a little correction - Premiere doesn't natively support MXF but if they have a Matrox Axio system for example, Premiere 2.0/CS3 supports MXF fine. BUT I presume the customer only has Premiere software?
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Since this post is already 2 months old, i suppose you've already found a solution.

I think you have 2 ways to deliver your footage to your client:

1: Make a copy of the XDcamdisk to (mini)DV tape.

2: Advise the client to use the mainconcept plugin. It wil make Ppro accept sony style .mxf files. Demo works fully for a few weeks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts