Comparing XDCAM HD and EX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #1
New Boot

Comparing XDCAM HD and EX

Hi -

I'm prepping for a microbudget feature film shoot this summer, and trying to decide on my best shooting format to hire. At the moment my main two realistic options look to be in the XDCAM range - either the EX1 or a F330. The latter is obviously more expensive, but not break the bank so.

I've done as much flicking through here and elsewhere as I can, and while there's lots of discussion about the different ergonomics, workflow and so on, there's not that much about just the image quality. I was wondering if there's any one with experience of both who could give me some advice - how a big a gap in quality is there? If I can go for the F330 is definitely worth doing it, or is not such a big deal?

Many thanks for the help,

Jonathan
Jonathan Dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Image wise the 350 may not actually be an improvement. The EX has 1920 chips compared to the 1440 on the 350. Obviously you can put better glass on the 350 but the EX lens is very good.

Hope that helps.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Trustee

I do not own the F350, but from what I've heard from those who own it, the F350 produces a slightly better image. I heard they cut together real well.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Trustee

take a look at my website and the religion serious. 4 were shot on the ex and 1 was shot on the f350. I have no problem using my ex1 rather than my f350 as the A camera.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have both. There really isn't much between them. The EX1 is certainly more sensitive but beyond that, the differences are not so clear cut. Of the two it's my opinion that overall the f350 produces a better image. In some shots the EX1 appears sharper then in the next shot the EX looks softer. I think the F350 produces a more consistent image, while the EX1's images seem to vary in quality depending on lighting, focal length and aperture. I'm really nit picking here as both produce excellent pictures. If I am working on a project that is going to be mainly setup shots then I would use the F350, if I need to run and gun then the EX1 would be my choice.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Major Player

The other thing to consider is whether you may want to use a 35mm adapter for a dramatic feature. In which case using it with the EX would be a less cumbersome package (still a bit cumbersome) but not bazooka long like it would be on the 350.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting.

Yeah, I would be using it with a 35mm adaptor - and as you say the 330/350, is big enough to start with. That's probably the biggest reason I'm leaning more towards the EX1, rather than the budget issues.
Jonathan Dupont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts