F350 Firewire no longer working - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 10th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
if anyone knows who sells those cables please let me know!!
Hi Phil,

These people allow you to custom design your own cable. Perhaps they cam help.

http://www.newnex.com/products/custo...design1394.php

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Regular Crew

On the other hand here's a company in the UK that has adaptors.

http://www.revealcable.co.uk/acatalo..._Couplers.html

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
As far as I know there are fuses on the data lines in the camera, these should not be to hard to replace, however as is often the case the fuses don't blow quick enough to stop other damage being done.
No fuses, i looked at the schematic. There was a dealer here in Texas sending out a camera for demo with a blown FW port. I was getting calls from various people asking what they were doing wrong (this was last year). After a couple incidents, I figured out they were getting the demo camera from the same place.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I'm curious to know if those who've had the misfortune to blow the firewire port on their XDCam, if the incident occurred with Macs or PCs, laptops or desk tops.

I am wondering if using a MacBook Pro instead of my MacPro desktop (as a short term solution) would lessen the probability of these occurrences, as my laptop seems to have a lower FW voltage (won't run some firewire powered devices for instance)...

The 4 pin adaptor sounds like a good idea until we can get a PDW-U1.
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #20
Trustee

it happened with my macbook pro
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #21
Inner Circle

No Fuses! Wow! The DSR570 and Z1 has fuses on the data lines, not user replaceable but cheaper than blowing the I/O device.
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #22
Regular Crew

What is the recommended procedure for hooking up a F350 in FAM mode, to a computer?
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Trustee

Prime support picked my F350 up on Friday. It came back today all fixed. How good is that?

Also Phil Myers at Sony was brilliant. He heard my F350 firewire had blown so he sent me the demo F355 to use in the meantime. Shame it arrived today the same day as the repaired camera came back. But I am so impressed!

You are supposed to have both camera and computer powered down. But I have never done that.

What I am going to do with my macbook pro is use my expresscard firewire and plug into that as that has no power. With the macpro, not sure, maybe use the 6 pin to 4 pin i have bought with the 4 pin to 6 pin adaptor.
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #24
Major Player

That is good service.

Who's going to turn the computer off before connecting the camera though - just can't see that happening on a regular basis! Glad I have a U1 :) (just need that firmware update that's supposed to be imminent).
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Trustee

Hi Paul

Yeah can't wait to get my U1 but come on...let's make in writable!!! Why the delay?
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #26
Major Player

I was told there was a considerable amount of work in writing the code for the write functions - but don't know if that's the whole truth. I guess it took them longer than expected and they decided to ship with just the read capabilities rather than delay it completely.

My only worry is that if some snag turns up that needs a hardware mod, where would it leave early purchasers? Not sure if that is at all likely though.

Is the U1 still available? Seems it wasn't available in the US when the first UK units shipped.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #27
Trustee

Sony told me about this drive 18 months ago when I was first looking at the camera...just surprised it is taking so long considering how long they have been working on it
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #28
Regular Crew

both powered down... but which one do you switch on first?

"You are supposed to have both camera and computer powered down."

Which one to you switch on first, the camera or the computer? So far i've been turning both off, powering up the camera in FAM mode and then switching on the computer so that when it starts up it reads the drive...

I'm glad it's worked out for you quickly... we are based in Angola, so this situation would be much more complicated for us to resolve. I hope Sony is monitoring this forum and decides that maybe providing a voltage-disabled 6 pin firewire cable with the camera would be a good idea... certainly cheaper in the long run.
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #29
Major Player

any news on working firewire adapters? (taking the power off the line)

Is anybody here using such a little device successfully?

I think this question has not been answered here yet.

Thanks

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #30
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Prime support picked my F350 up on Friday. It came back today all fixed. How good is that?

Also Phil Myers at Sony was brilliant. He heard my F350 firewire had blown so he sent me the demo F355 to use in the meantime. Shame it arrived today the same day as the repaired camera came back. But I am so impressed!

You are supposed to have both camera and computer powered down. But I have never done that.

What I am going to do with my macbook pro is use my expresscard firewire and plug into that as that has no power. With the macpro, not sure, maybe use the 6 pin to 4 pin i have bought with the 4 pin to 6 pin adaptor.
If by chance thatīs the Phil Myers that used to work for Pinnacle. I would have to add he has always done his utmost to help when problems occur. Nice to see he is working for Sony.
Richard Gillespie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts