Just suppose.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Just suppose....

New CMOS chip announced for 350/5, available for retro-fit at modest cost. 50Mps (mPs, MpS, etc.) up-grade at less modest cost. And errrr... Flying pigs!!! Sorry ... just a thought.
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No Thanks. If it was a CCD then I would be interested, but then isn't that the PDW 700?
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just thinking of upgrades that don't cost £30K plus a new set of lenses. The EX has a very nice look, more dots, faster and comes in at a lot less 'beer tokens' - and the EX3 is just around the corner. So just wondering if there were any treats for the the 350 family or is the future some shade of red? And oh, the PDW 700 didn't exist 18 months ago when I jumped in.
Maybe Sony will seek to comfort their 'old pals' by tweaking what they already have rather than let them drift away to another's siren call...... oh dear! more pigs I feel.....
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The 700 is going to have a street price somewhere around £19k for a body and VF. Admittedly a lens won't come cheap. Just because the EX1/3 has more pixels it doesn't make it better. There are many times when my F350 has produced a better image than my EX1 but not many times when my EX1 has produced a better image than my F350. Admittedly they are remarkably close picture wise and the EX1 and EX3 are astounding value for money. Red One is going to cost you close to £30k for a useable system and it really isn't suitable for any kind of run and gun or documentary shooting, it has too many foibles to just grab and go. Like the EX1 the F355/F335 range are incredible value, the optical disk workflow is so simple, easy and robust and with a decent lens the picture quality is up there with the best.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Alister Mmmmmmmm - I'll say that again, Mmmmm! Yes & No. Sony has to make a stand: 'Do we support Independent Film Makers (Idependent - No money)?' or do we do the 'Corporate stuff' - as we have already got the cash off them. I would like to believe that in the black heart of the beast there is a flicker of light - 'Oh,Yes - let's go the extra mile - **** the accountants - we could win a lot of friends..... & we are starting to get competition'. All I can say is that we will not get anywhere without prodding with sharp sticks. Many years ago I had a friend who bullied Taylor Hobson into a new lens and Kays (later Metrocolour) into super 16mm and we, along with Peter Greenaway, made 'Draughtsman's Contract' and the rest is history.
Old May 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Im pretty sure Sony dont care about being bullied or prodded ;)
Robb Cox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts