Magnolia Theatre - XDCAM feature Jue 19th at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magnolia Theatre - XDCAM feature Jue 19th

- The Incurable -

Dallas Tx. Landmark's Magnolia Theatre at 8:pm on Thursday June 19th 2008

A micro-budget indie feature shot with the XDCAM HD 330 will be playing and dvinfo.netters are invited.
Be advised: it's a meditative, Arthouse film... no explosions or ninjas in car chases... and it's for adults.

More information, teasers etc at http://www.myspace.com/theincurable

Come say hello and let me know you're from dvinfo if you show.

Thanks
Dutch
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dutch - Miriana looks stunning and the clips make you want to see the rest of the film. Well done. Might have gone for a little more 'Promist'..... but, hey - that's very 90's. Micro budget - Macro promise. Hope 'Cast & Crew' party went well. If you can get it to the other side of the pond, I promise I will go to see it....
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Godfrey,

There are a million things I would like to have done that weren't in the "budget," which was what you might call... challenging.
Filters are certainly one.

And yes it's true, the camera does seem to like Miriana.
Hope it can get over to your side of the world in some form other than Amazon.
We'll see.

And! the screening isn't until the 19th!! Next Thursday!

Put on your Bergman berets, your Kieslowski caps and see you there.

Last edited by Dutch Rall; June 13th, 2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: schpelling
Dutch Rall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The teaser looks good. I'm curious as to how XDCAM looks projected at 4K. Good luck today and let us know how it turns out.
Warren Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Major Player

If you make this available for purchase I'll buy a copy :)
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

screening

I apologize for the slow response. I've been doing too much at once.

The screening... went really well. Sold out. Made a profit. $5 more than the per-screen average of the #1 film that day... the press release would read "Incurable make Hulk angry" or something like.

I ended up having to run off of a camera at 17mbs (because of the TRT... and the camera says 17, not 18. maybe this is just in 23.976?) component connections.
Worrisome.
Through the 4K and onto the BIIIG screen, it held up well. The further back the better in my opinion. Wouldn't have wanted to sit in the front row... but many did and no one complained.
Importantly (to me), people wanted to discuss the film as a film afterwards, not just say "good job." The whys and what-fors. The fact that the only thing said about the visuals was that they were "beautiful" and not some discussion on "what did you shoot with" was w o n d e r f u l.

4K-I thought the reds were too saturated when the scenes were dark. Blues and greens with a lot of light looked amazing. No control over this on the cam end. I had exported it to disc without rendering a composite safe effect because I wanted to see the movie as richly and vibrantly as possible at least once before putting it out on dvd. So, I'm not sure how much of what fault lies where. Again, no one complained. Just me being a control freak. Detail was fine. Not film, but it told the story. At $22 dollars an hour for media, I couldn't be happier.

If anyone wants to screen something in Dallas, The Magnolia did a great job and the guy in charge, Clayton, took the time to make sure tickets, posters, etc were all perfect.

There is a new festival coming to Austin this fall and I hope the actual premiere can be held there without having to do a film transfer. Hope to push out to disc onto the new 50G at 35mb per second or bite the bullet and rent an HDCAM deck. We'll see.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts