Minimizing CA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Minimizing CA

I'm happy with my F335 camcorder and my Canon KH20x6.4-KRS HDgc lens. But...

There definitely is some CA with the lens. Though it is still less than what I found when I experimented with a Canon SD lens on this camera, it was definitely there in some of my HD I've been shooting recently. Others have pointed out their CA issues in this forum as well with numerous lenses.

Then in this week's TV Technology, they had a great story about economical HD lenses, and there's this great quote from Fujinon about economical HD lenses: "They were designed for TV applications, where artifacts like chromatic aberration, and edge softening aren't as problematic."

So my question is, since all affordable HD zoom lenses seem to have CA issues, one way or another, what can we do to minimize them?

Is there any kind of guideline for a sweetspot to avoid it? Such as staying between f/4 and f/8? Or are there particular focal lengths worse to show CA more than others, such as full wide?

Thanks.
Old July 8th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I think keeping you exposure down helps as the bright areas are not so extreme then so the CA effect is lessened. Knocking down the whites below peak level is a good idea regardless of CA. You'll then end up with slightly dark shadow and mid-tone areas but you then bring these up in post. Also in post there are features for reducing CA, you point to the area where it is and de-saturate that colour I believe (not an editor myself).
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Using ND filters ahead of the lens as opposed to the built in ND can help as it reduces internal lens reflections and flare. The CA will still be there but may not be so pronounced.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts