Are wide angle lenses softer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Are wide angle lenses softer?

Hello all. I have a two day old Canon KH10EX3.6 IRSE (wide angle with 2x extender) for my F350, was shooting with a Fujinon XS17.5 5.5.
I have to say I am a little disappointed that it doesn't seem as sharp as my Fujinon, and at £13,000 I am a little unsure as to wether I have made a bad call.
Are wide angle lenses generally a little softer/ less sharp - is this a pay off for the width of the shot?
Does anyone else use a KH10 and have this problem ot is it just me?
Wide angle lenses are also a little more difficult to check back focus with as well which doesn't help!
Thanks, Sparky
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Telecam Films

It should be the other way around. Usually, wides are quite sharper than long lenses.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Please ignore my depressing post, just hooked up F350 t0 40'' HD Bravia set and the footage looked awesome! very happy with news lens!
Sorry about that..
sparky
Mark McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I can't stress enough the importance of using a BIG HD monitor for resolution tests. Small monitors just don't tell the full story when it comes to resolution.

Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Major Player

That's fully correct Alister. Since last week I have a Fujinon HS16x4.6BERM. On my field monitor it didn't look very spectacular at all, but on my Sony 40" LCD it's more then awesome. I also have to admit that it looses a lot of sharpness when the 2x extender is used. But that's a normal and known issue.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McCarthy View Post
Wide angle lenses are also a little more difficult to check back focus with as well which doesn't help!
Thanks, Sparky
What I did is made myself a star chart in Adobe Illustrator. Then have this printed out as a poster format (about 30 inch by 20 inch) by Fujiprint.

Works great! At home of course.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts