EX1 or the Sony F350 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 7th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Agree with Alister re picture quality, there's nothing wrong with the 350, but there is just something about that EX1/3 that is really pleasant, it's a very gentle plus very hi-res image, took me by surprise as I'm sure it did others. It's not just that tiny extra bit of res, it is quite a different look, which even with menu fiddling I don't think you could quite get with the 350 (or the 700 for that matter). But that's not to say it'll be to everyone's taste, many people may well prefer the 350 look. I think you'd probably be happy with either, it is more ergonomics really.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #32
Inner Circle

This is a side by side comparison between the PDW700 and EX3. It's very close.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 or the Sony F350-ex-v-700-small.jpg  
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Another thought worth mentioning.

Given the cost difference between the EX3 and F350, if you have the budget for the F350 you may actually keep within budget buying the EX3 AND and additional lens.

It really seems to come down to the type/size of your organization (SxS vs XDCAM disk workflow) and type of clients you're working with (doesn't it always).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Alister: The EX is on the left in that photo? The left side seems just a hair more sharp, realizing that could be any number of things from resolution to lens to detail level to actual focus point.
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Thankyou all for you help. Both cameras are great with three price ranges, now it's time to decide.

One last question: How is the EX3 on your chest, shoulder for those extended times away from the tripod.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #36
Major Player

I haven’t had my EX-3 that long roughly 4 months and I absolutely love it! The ergonomics compared to the EX-1 is outstanding. Also the EX-3 Viewfinder/eye piece is simply ingenious. I prefer to mount my camera on a tripod due to using it with 600mm lens but for those times I’ve hand-held, on the shoulder or chest I’ve found it balanced.

Even crawling through the undergrowth is painless. The EX-3 great run gun type camera with astonishing performance and picture quality.

I love the solid state media and now archive to the new Belkin BD Gold discs or you could purchase a Sony PDW-U1 which will let you via a plug-in with Clip Browser to re-jiggle between the formats (XDCAM EX 1920 x 1080 to XDCAM HD 1440 x 1080 and back again). The latter is expensive and unnecessary if to have Blu-ray.

Last edited by Paul Inglis; December 8th, 2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
I'm not sure I would buy one now unless I could get a very good deal as I think this is a line that really is due for a major upgrade. Whether Sony will bring out a replacement I do not know.
This has been my thought for a while now. I first used the 3** series in early 2006. Given the usual timeline I would suspect that at the very least there will be a prototype of something, or an announcement at NAB. The 3** cameras are gradually being outclassed by much cheaper camcorders now with full 1920x1080 chips and recording. I do not think that the ergonomics are really a reason to be spending so much more money plus the additional cost of a lens, which to be frank leaves a lot to be desired in quality these days.

Alan Roberts mentioned on the DV Doctor forums that he thought the Angenieux ENG lenses were much better than the Canons or Fujis. Dunno who sells them over here though, and they don't do a half inch line.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #38
Inner Circle

My experience with Angenieux lenses has been mixed. If you get a good one they can be exceptionally good and probably better than most Canons and Fuji's. However the bad ones are not so good. If you are going to buy an Angenieux make sure you test it before you part with any money.
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #39
Trustee

Hehe! Although that seems to be the case also for Fuji and Canon these days! :-)

Will be getting my EX3 on Monday. Then it is the roadmap to getting a decent replacement 2/3". I'll probably get a B4 HD lens for the EX3 a bit down the line to spread the cost of any upgrade. I can bide my time. No hurry.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts