PDWHD1500 doesn't support 35mb/s! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PDWHD1500 doesn't support 35mb/s!

I just finished a two camera shoot yesterday along side a PDW F700. When we went to feed using a PDWHD1500 it wouldn't play the disk from my F350. I had to use my camera instead.

Is this going to be resolved by Sony, or will the F350 be made obsolete?

In the past Sony has been good about backward compatibility, hopefully they will continue protect their customers who supported them in the early days of XDCamHD.

Last edited by Peter Newsom; January 5th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Major Player

As far as I understood Sonys update policy, within the next months both cameras and decks will be capable of all XDCAM HD compression formats , but not for now.

(720p just was implemented for example).

Regards

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I knew about the limitations with the cameras, but not about the decks. It was a shock when my disk wasn't supported.

This is a pain, as it will likely take some time after the firmware updates are released for them to filter through to all the machines out there, making it uncertain whether 35mb/s disks will play for new clients.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Newsom View Post
When we went to feed using a PDWHD1500 it wouldn't play the disk from my F350. I had to use my camera instead.
I find this very strange - backwards compatability has always been something Sony have been pretty good at, current HD and Digibeta decks playing original non-SP Betacam tapes, for example.

Looking at the specs page, it seems that it certainly SHOULD support the 35Mbs HD mode, as well as the 25Mbs and 18Mbs SP and LP modes (and all the other SD XDCAM modes as well) - see Sony : PDW-HD1500 (PDWHD1500) : Technical Specifications : United Kingdom
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Here we are (just spoke to a Sony Broadcast person):

Every HD422 unit (camera, decks) support XDCAM HD playback 18/25/35 (recording: 25/35mbit, no long play) when updated to firmware version 1.2 (since november 08).

Units shipped AFTER november (incl. 1.2) have a print "/1" ("PDW-HD1500/1") on the shipping box.

Its a good idea to inform your customers , if they missed to update their units.

Regards

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts