Writing back to XDCam disc for archive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Writing back to XDCam disc for archive

Am I right in thinking that if you recorded onto say SxS cards, transferred to hard drive then dragged the files straight to XDCam disc you wouldn't lose any quality? ie the data in the files would not go through Mpeg compression, you'd have a 1:1 likeness of the original SxS material but stored to disc?
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can use the U1 as a data device to store EX files, but they won't play back in any deck.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

I thought you are currently limited to the 500MB of general data storage space on Professional Discs in the U1?

There is a firmware update coming in the future that will allow full general data storage on a Professional Disc in the future, but AFAIK, you can't do that currently.
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry your right Eugene, the firmware isn't out yet.
Old January 11th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Major Player

by time sony releases firmwares to write all xdcam formats to disk - so you could convert ex3 files to mxf and write it back to a VIDEO professional disk.

The other way is also right: in future you will set a disk to "DATA" and can store up to 50GB of any PC data to disk - but its not a video disk then (not playable in a XDCAM Player).

Regards

uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Can you please confirm this

I am about to buy a Sony PDW-U1 XDCAM aiming to copy the 32 GB SXS cards onto professional video disc as EX-3 footage storage, so that I could erase SXS card and reuse it again. Can I do that or will this 500MB limit (mentioned above) prevents me from archiving my footage in this manner?
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #7
Major Player

A Sony Rep told me that the update (free access to 23/50GB) will be

EDIT: IS (!) released for HDW-1500 deck (via firewire), later coming (...) for PDW-u1.

Regards

Uli

Last edited by Uli Mors; January 28th, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Uli

So, it is nor yet possibel to archive in this manner.
OK. What is the deal with standars consumer Blue Ray disc, can I burn the content (rushes) of my SXS card - after a daily shooting - onto standar Blue Ray disc, using Nero or other burning software?
The thing is that I am about to start a project with tens of hours of rushes, which I have to download to 'something' before erasing my SXS cards for further filming. What would be the best 'something' for that purpose?
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:15 AM   #9
Major Player

IŽd recommend to go for any dual harddrive RAID-Enclosures via eSata.
(Buffalo and others).

Its fast, reliable and you get your stuff archived easily.

A 2 x 750GB Raid 1 (= 750GB safe storage) equals roughly 45 hrs of EX1 video (16GB ~ 1hr).

Afterwards, why not burning several BluRay Data Discs for additional backup? But that will take some time...

ULI
Old February 3rd, 2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Another way is to use Shotput with a pair of USB hard drives. Shotput can be set to make simultaneous verified copies to both drives and then one drive can be kept in the office to work from while the other drive can be kept at a different location as a backup. So even if your office burns down you should still have your valuable material.
Old February 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Alister

I believe I will do exactly that.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts