I need help: woll the F350 and EX3 Files match? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1
Major Player

I need help: woll the F350 and EX3 Files match?

hello all..

I am doing a shoot this summer and I will be using my EX3 as a b-roll camera as the main cameras will be the clients F350's (interviews,live shots) and we will be doing on location editing on Sony Vegas off a laptop..One strange thing is that the F350's will be shooting to 16x9, but in SD...I know that the EX3 will only do HD, so the questions is:

If I hand the editor one of my EX3 SXS cards, will they be the same files as the F350 puts out and can he edit to the program or will need to change settings on the Vegas?

I am not a editor, so I need your help.

thanks....
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

The F3xx line of cameras use MPEG-2 inside of a MXF wrapper for HD and DVCAM inside a MXF wrapper for SD. Vegas Pro 8 can edit these natively.

The EX line of cameras use MPEG-2 inside of a MP4 wrapper for HD. Vegas Pro 8 can not edit this directly.

But Sony provides a software conversion program with the EX cameras. This will losslessly take the MPEG-2 out of the MP4 wrapper and put it in a MXF wrapper.

Having done that, Vegas Pro 8 will see it fine, just as it does MXF from XDCAM HD.

Vegas will make all clips match whatever project settings you have made. So if you have a SD project, you can put HD and SD in it and Vegas will handle the conversions automatically. (Note: Be sure the project has the deinterlace set for blend or interpolate, since even when you are going from HD interlace to SD interlace, Vegas needs this set to convert correctly.)

Of course, for the optimists like myself, maybe SCS will suprise us with Vegas Pro 9 at the NAB Show next month and include native EX support.
Old March 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Major Player

So, your saying that I will have to use the Sony Clip Browser 2.5 to convert the clips to XDCAM toDVCAM? then the editor can put it in the Vegas....

thanks
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Taken away too young... rest in peace Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Griffin View Post
So, your saying that I will have to use the Sony Clip Browser 2.5 to convert the clips to XDCAM toDVCAM? then the editor can put it in the Vegas....

thanks
No, I'm saying you'll have to use the Sony Clip Browser 2.5 to convert the XDCAM EX MP4 wrapped MPEG-2 into MXF wrapped MPEG-2. It's a lossless conversion, it stays HD, which is all the EX can record.

Then you can put the MXF files in Vegas and do what you need to with them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts