PDW 700 SD Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #1
Tourist

PDW 700 SD Settings

Hello

I'm about to take delivery of a new 700 camera with the SD software option included as initially I'll have a requirment for some EFP and ENG work in SD. Can anyone pass on some set up settings for DVCAM and IMX formats please.

Also I've been reading about the cooling vents and wondered about the implications of using a camera glove. Anyone any experiences.

Lastly, has anyone any experience of using PAG Batts with the camera.

Look forward to getting a reply.

Regards

Brian McVeigh
Brian McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Major Player

Brian

Congrats on your 700 purchase, sure you will enjoy it. I can only answer in part your ventilation query. We have been regularly using our 700 in pretty harsh conditions such as lime dust and sand blasting. We use a lightweight Storm Jacket throughout a whole days shooting without any issues. Having owned the F350, we had more issues with overheating as there were less vents. The 700 has a very useful large lower side vent. Course, at the end of the day where it’s not necessary to cover the camera up too tight we give it as much fresh air as it needs.

We use IDX batts so can’t help with how well PAG batts will do you. It is a fairly power greedy camera if your constantly switching off and on.

Regards: Stu
www.studioscotland.com
Stewart Menelaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Tourist

Hi Stu

Thanks for the information, and for your recent 700 review. That in itself answered a few other questions I'd had.

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it - probably next week at this stage.

I've been told by the equipment supplier that L95e batts provide a 95 watt-hour capacity – with PDW-700 requiring 40 watt consumption (w/o options or LCD – 44 watt with). I should expect just over 2 hours of power from a single battery in ordinary use. Still waiting to hear from PAG themselves, if they've had any feedback from 700 users.

Thanks again

Brian
Brian McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
New Boot

Also I've been reading about the cooling vents and wondered about the implications of using a camera glove. Anyone any experiences.

Hey Brian,

The camera is thirsty, it uses alot of power, and it gets pretty hot. If you are running the camera continuously the vent will pump out alot of heat. I would not recommend putting a glove on the camera unless you modify it to allow the heat to escape from the rear vent. I've modified a KATA cover for my camera, I'll try and post pics if I get a chance, but it' just a case of cutting out a rectangular vent and then sewing/glueing in some mesh/gauze to help the camera glove to keep it's shape. I bought the mesh from a haberdashery, you'll be some funny looks while your holding up different sheer fabrics!

Cheers,
Brad.
Brad Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts