Silly Question from a Non-Newbie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Tourist

Silly Question from a Non-Newbie

Hey there. I have managed to lose the manual for my camera (PDW 700) and have a possibly dumb question. When shooting, I often notice an orange circular light with a enclosed question mark, in the bottom left side of the viewfinder. What does this indicator light mean and how do I make it go away? Sorry for the dumb question but I am very new to this camera and my previous camera, a DV-400 did not have this indicator light. Thanks in advance for your help.
Charles Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Is it an exclamation mark or a question mark?

If it is the former it just means you have something set to a non standard/default setting, such as having the shutter turned on. You can go into the menus and tell it when you show the indicator.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Major Player

any of the following will cause it
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Not a fan of that warning light! Always scares me but without telling me why!
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Mike,

Next to the menu switch there is another silver toggle switch called "Cancel/Preset/Escape". Flick that up and the camera's status pages will be shown on the viewfinder. There are four status pages and you can cycle through them by flicking the switch multiple times.

One of the pages is called "ABNORMAL STATUS". Any line shown on that page that begins with a "!" is the reason the warning light is being shown in your viewfinder.
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Here is the Sony PDW-700 Manual. Click save and print off another copy every-time you lose it!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post

One of the pages is called "ABNORMAL STATUS". Any line shown on that page that begins with a "!" is the reason the warning light is being shown in your viewfinder.
Thanks Doug! Great tip. I only rent the camera so haven't mastered it as much as the cameras I own.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #8
Vortex Media

Don't feel too bad. I've spoken to F800/700 OWNERS who don't know about the status pages.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts