DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   Sony Tripod plate difference (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/470203-sony-tripod-plate-difference.html)

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 08:34 AM

Sony Tripod plate difference

What is the difference between the VCT-14 and the VCT-U14 besides the price? Is it weight? Build quality?

Mike Marriage December 30th, 2009 10:04 AM

The VCT-U14 is a lighter weight model and is not nearly as robust. It can still hold an HDCAM on a tripod but will likely have more play. The VCT-14 is pretty solid and I definitely prefer it. It also has a sprung loaded rear clip which may help a little.

Neither are perfect and both give a little wobble but I would pay the extra for the VCT-14.

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 10:18 AM

Thanks Mike,

Makes sense from the info but nice to have it confirmed. Not a place to skimp on stiffness.

Steve Phillipps December 30th, 2009 10:34 AM

I wouldn't get either, always hated them.
Crosziel make one that's OK, it's semi-quick release, in that it's easy to detach but rather than just clipping on it clips in and then you push in a bar to lock it - this is what gives it extra stability, and I mean a LOT extra.
Better still, but only if you don't need to take it off much, is the Ronford Baker one which screws in and is bomb-proof. It was originally made for Arri and Panavision but you can buy it straight from Ronford.
These comments are mostly relevant for long lens work though, and I know a lot of people are happy with the VCT14.
Steve

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 10:44 AM

Great input Steve as you know I use very long lens often.

Here are two links to the product so i know I have the right one:
Chrosziel GmbH - For TV and movie productions
JVC Quick Release Tripod Adapter Plate - Zacuto

And is this the Ronford one?
http://www.ronfordbaker.co.uk/video.html

Mike Marriage December 30th, 2009 11:25 AM

For long lens work (100mmm plus roughly) I don't think either Sony plate is firm enough. Steadicam work can also show up the play in the plate.

Of course it is a compromise between "quick release" and firmness.

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 11:40 AM

I just got off the phone with Charles at Abel. We talked through it and I am going to have a Sony plate for short quick work. Then I am going to try a Ronford Baker plate for long lens work. This will let me see the difference. And let me know if having the second plate that is bolted to the camera removing the shoulder options makes sense for long work.

Mike have you used any of the three above plates?

Zacuto wrote back and said there plate like the Sony has play. So must not be the same as the Chrosziel plate.

Would be nice to know if Steve agrees that the Ronford plate I am looking at is the one he has used?

The Chrosziel is 3 1/2 times the cost of the Ronford Plate.

Steve Phillipps December 30th, 2009 11:53 AM

Paul,
Yes that's the right page at Ronford. You'll need the SAP plate and the ULB1 brakcet. Comes to about £500 I think. Is the Chrosziel one that expensive? I thought it was less than the Ronford. Certainly the Ronford is the sturdiest by miles, but not the quickest to remove. Ont the few occasions I do on the shoulder work I just leave it on, actually prefer it that way.
Steve

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 12:29 PM

Excellent Steve thank you,

I will go for the Ronford SAP Sony plate and the ULB1 Universal.

Appreciate your advice and experience on the plate options. I am sure with my Vinten Vision 100 head and Fibertech stick with mid spreader, I will now be able to grab some long shots I've been missing.

Luc De Wandel December 30th, 2009 12:51 PM

I have a brandnew VCT-U14 and there is no play or wobble whatsoever. Am I just lucky or is it because it's still new?

Paul Cronin December 30th, 2009 01:10 PM

How long a lens are you using and do you use it in wind?

Mike Marriage December 30th, 2009 01:25 PM

I've also heard a lot of Steadicam guys recommend Baer Bel's V mount plate. I always get by with the VCT-14. I was using an HJ40 (on sticks, not Steadicam!) the other day and there was a little wobble on that but that may have even been wobble in the carpet or floor as the camera is more mounted to the lens with a lens that size.

Baer Bel:

Br-Bel CamTec

It's in the online store for €450.

Doug Jensen December 30th, 2009 01:36 PM

I have both the VCT-14 and the VCT-U14.
The VCT-U14 is a piece of junk that should be recalled by Sony. It's totally inadequate for the job. The VCT-14 is better, but certainly not as rock-solid as my old Ikegami plates.

I'll have to give some serious thought to these other brands. Thanks for the tips.

Luc De Wandel December 30th, 2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1466170)
How long a lens are you using and do you use it in wind?

I use a Canon 20x zoom with extender, but it really is rock solid. At least for the time being. Perhaps because it's brandnew and there's no play anywhere (yet)? Good to know though that there is much sturdier stuff on the market. Wish I knew that before I bought the Sony plate.

Paul Cronin January 25th, 2010 10:13 AM

Steve my Ronford Baker bottom plate (ULB-1 & SAP-3) arrived today.

You are right this is a very sturdy setup. Not as convenient as the Sony plate since I need to tighten a set screw in the forward V-lock from the under side. But with a short stiff flat head screw driver this will only get quicker. If I need to go on and off quickly I might buy a Sony plate for short lens use but I will wait and see if this is needed.

Testing the stiffness between the Sony plate and the Ronford Baker in the studio there is a huge difference. So for long lens and helicopter work there is only one choice between the two.

Thanks for the directions.