Sony Viewfinder input - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Thierry, Doug's viewfinder convinced me to spend the extra money. I ordered mine today.

Thierry send me an email if you are interested a demo HDVF-C30. I know where there is one at a good price.
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
I have been using a PMW-350 in Africa for the last 3 weeks and I have to say, it does not have the quality and features of the HDVF-30WR or HDVF-35WR but it is still a good one and is incredibly convenient. With it, I color balance the camera to my taste and to the picture tone I like. It's going hard to transition back to the F800 and a BW viewfinder. I am hooked, may have to make a purchase soon...

Thierry.
You mentioned concerns about getting good black levels with the 350 and highlight problems in bright contrasty scenes Thierry. Have you come to the conclusion that these are not too importand now? I've almost decided on a 2700 varicam, but the colour VF of the 350 is a definite positive to consider. I can't find a single user report on the Panasonic AJ-CVF100 colour viewfinder, even though it's been out for months.
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM   #18
Telecam Films

Unlike the PDW-700/F800, I think getting the PMW-350 to perform at its best takes a bit of scene file tweeking. I am now using two different scene files. One using a Hyper Gamma curve with a bit of color saturation for GVs (B-Roll in American.....) and an other one a little more punchy with deaper black for interviews.

Thierry
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Major Player

You are generally happy with the 350 Thierry? I see you use 700's as well. My choice because of price, is down to the 350 or the 2700 Varicam. 10-bit AVC but 720, versus 1080 but CMOS.....
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:11 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thierry if you are going to buy a color VF for your F800 I would recommend the HDVF-C35W. I know it is silly amount of money but having spent most of today using it for the first time I glad I did not buy a B+W VF. Also a nice spot to put my short shot gun mic on the side bracket. Luckily I found a demo one in Germany through a kind sole from the forum who lead me to the deal.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I had a big shoot with my 700 last week. I hadn't used it for a while, I've been using the 350 a lot. It was a shock going to a mono VF and on reviewing my footage it's a all a little under exposed, I put this down to switching from the color VF on the 350 to the mono VF on my 700. I so regret not specing the kit with a C35W.
Old April 1st, 2010, 06:39 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Alister I knew after the EX1 and EX350 I could not go to a B+W VF. The C35W is a nice step up from the 350 VF being sharp, accurate, peaking, and the focus assist is amazing,
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:51 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I've used the C35W many times and like it very much. Just wish it was cheaper!
Old April 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Keep searching Alister I found mine 45% off as a demo still with warranty in Germany. They are out there and who knows what you might find at NAB.

First shots today with the F800 after going through most of Doug's Field Guide. Really is an amazing camera.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM   #25
Major Player

Hi Paul,

you went for the 35. Did you test the 30 too?

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:40 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Hi Uli,

No I did not test the 30. I found the 35 and 30 both used and they were the same price so I just went for the 35. I do know where there is a used 30 if you are interested?
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Well I'm eager to see who is going to launch what at NAB, I think there might be one or two surprises. I'm traveling more and more so really keen to reduce the size and weight of my kit, yet I don't want to compromise on quality. I'm also doing a lot more 3D, which means 2 of everything, so I need to keep costs down as well.

I'm possibly going to have a full kit re-think after NAB, maybe starting from scratch.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Alister will be interested to see what you choose.

I could not be happier with my F800. Great CCD picture, optical disk rule, amazing camera functions/options, and tough industry standard 2/3" body. I think I will be set for a bit with my choice. But I would not want to have to lug two of everything around.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #29
Trustee

Speaking of reducing the size of the travelling kit, I can't find a single U.S. domestic air carrier that officially permits a carry-on bag the size of the Kata TCCT, even in the collapsed configuration.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Collapsed and with the trolly removed the TCCT is 22"x13"x8" which certainly meets most airlines regulations. The normal maximum allowed carry on size limit is 22"x18"x10" . I just checked this on the BA and AA web sites, Continental and United are 22"x14"x9". Some airlines have an additional limit where H+L+W must not exceeding 44" which the TCCT just meets at 43". It is a little bit of a squeeze to get it in to a bag size checker as it tends to need to be squashed length wise as the expanding end piece needs to be squashed flat, but it does fit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts