Sync problems PDW-700 (1080 25P) and Aaton Cantar at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 19th, 2010, 03:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Sync problems PDW-700 (1080 25P) and Aaton Cantar

Hello!

I am working as an operator on a tv-series. We shoot on the Sony XDCAM HD format (professional dics).

We are experiencing some sync problems - both when viewing proxys - and when logging the material in Final Cut. We use sync-boxes both on the camera (PDW-700) and on the Aaton Cantar sound recorder.
The problem is that the picture is delayed compared to the sound. It varies between 1 and 3 frames.
It is constantly at least 1 frame delayed (I guess this is because the high resolution picture needs more sampling-time than the sound (?) ). The other variable I dont know the reason of. Maybe the sound is recorded in a higher rate than 25 per second and therefore the picture "have to choose" which "soundframe" it will lock on to?

The logger sync up every clip on the clapper.
The one frame out of sync we could correct with a default delay in FCP, but the real problem is that the unsync varies.

Anybody has any ideas?

We are working handheld (mostly) and with to cameras. the DoP do not want to use the genlock (for some reason).
Ole Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Telecam Films

Just currious, you don't have a Sony digital wireless unit mounted in the camera slot-in by any chance? Even if not in use, there is a setting in the camera's WWR Settings page that when set to AUTO (default) could I think affect timing.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Major Player

how long are those clips? Is it the start frame that differs from clip to clip or does it run out of sync while playing, too?

WHEN does the TC update?

In a recent music show we shot with an external Audio Harddisk Recorder as playback machine. This unit was TC master.
Since everything was edited in Media Composer, we had to avoid starting the camera recording BEFORE the audio unit ran. Why? Media Composer sees only the FIRST TC number, but not the changed TC (TC jump) in the recorded file (when the master starts later or is hooked up later or...)

Even if both units are in TC free run, the audio unit (or any other TC master) could differ 1 or 2 frames (dependend on its circuits) , bad if you start the cam BEFORE the TC master updates the TC from the cam for any reason. You simply won´t see the update in Media Composer.

I am not sure how FCP holds up with TC jumps, but you will see the TC jump in this case in Playback from the camera or a deck.

Perhaps my thoughts somehow fit into your problems...?

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Just currious, you don't have a Sony digital wireless unit mounted in the camera slot-in by any chance? Even if not in use, there is a setting in the camera's WWR Settings page that when set to AUTO (default) could I think affect timing.
Actually we do have a Sony digital wireless sound unit in the slot on the back of the camera.

Good guess. Do you have any experience of changing the settings? Could we solve the problem that way?

I will take a look at this camera setting.
Thanks for the answer.

Ole Andreas Grřntvedt
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Mors View Post
how long are those clips? Is it the start frame that differs from clip to clip or does it run out of sync while playing, too?

WHEN does the TC update?

In a recent music show we shot with an external Audio Harddisk Recorder as playback machine. This unit was TC master.
Since everything was edited in Media Composer, we had to avoid starting the camera recording BEFORE the audio unit ran. Why? Media Composer sees only the FIRST TC number, but not the changed TC (TC jump) in the recorded file (when the master starts later or is hooked up later or...)

Even if both units are in TC free run, the audio unit (or any other TC master) could differ 1 or 2 frames (dependend on its circuits) , bad if you start the cam BEFORE the TC master updates the TC from the cam for any reason. You simply won´t see the update in Media Composer.

I am not sure how FCP holds up with TC jumps, but you will see the TC jump in this case in Playback from the camera or a deck.

Perhaps my thoughts somehow fit into your problems...?

Uli
The clips varies from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes. I believe it is the start frame that are wrong and that it does not float within the clip. The logger syncs it on the clapper, and I think everything is allright after that operation. But it gives her more work though.

We update the TC every day with fresh batteries on both sync-boxes.
I will try to look at the TC on the playback from the camera to see if you are right about the tc jump.

Thank you for the answer.

Ole Andreas Grřntvedt
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Major Player

what are exactly the units you use?

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Andreas View Post
Actually we do have a Sony digital wireless sound unit in the slot on the back of the camera.

Good guess. Do you have any experience of changing the settings? Could we solve the problem that way?

I will take a look at this camera setting.
Thanks for the answer.

Ole Andreas Grřntvedt
If you have a digital wireless mounted in the slot-in, please check the TX Transmission Delay in the MAINTENANCE WWR page 09. The default is AUTO which means that recording to the disc will be automatically delayed by a few milliseconds to make up for the slight delay typical with digital audio transmission. Try setting this to 0, I am pretty sure this will resolve your issue.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #8
New Boot

We use an Sony DWR-S01D
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
If you have a digital wireless mounted in the slot-in, please check the TX Transmission Delay in the MAINTENANCE WWR page 09. The default is AUTO which means that recording to the disc will be automatically delayed by a few milliseconds to make up for the slight delay typical with digital audio transmission. Try setting this to 0, I am pretty sure this will resolve your issue.

Thierry.
Thank you Thierry. I will try this as soon as I have the possibility.
Very good with the exact page number in the menu.

Ole Andreas
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Telecam Films

Glad to help. Aside from a 0 ms Transmission Delay, you may also try various settings because I am not sure I fully understand your audio setup. In any case, the fact that the delay is inconsistent tells me that the AUTO setting is responsible for this because the camera will adjust its recording timing dynamically to overcome any slight delay caused by the digital receiver unit. Are you actually using the digital wireless to receive reference audio from the Aaton Cantar? Also, are you using any digital wireless mics on your talents?
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts