Using Canon HJ 40x10B on F800 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Using Canon HJ 40x10B on F800

Getting ready to use a Canon HJ40x10B Image stabilized lens on my F800.

I shoot with my ZA17x with optical extender on at full zoom all the time, and get great footage. No problem keeping the movement smooth with my Vinten tripod and focus locked on the subject with the F800, it really is an amazing camera the best I have ever used.

1. First off I have a great tripod with spreader. The tripod will be low.

2. The Skid/'riser plate comes with the lens so balance will be nice. Also the zoom and focus controls come with the lens.

3. Rental house will shade the lens and store the settings in the camera as they are with my ZA17x

4. Polarizer will come with the lens since I will be shooting 90 degrees to the sun, which is perfect for a Polarizer.

5. I plan on having the Optical Stabilizer on most of the time since I will be at 50-100% of the lens length with and without the optical extender on.

6. I am excited to try the 40x there are other lens options I would have preferred, but this is a deal. One-day rental fee picking up on Thursday and returning on Monday, the important shoot is Friday afternoon so plenty of time to test. Also it will get a workout over the weekend.

Looking for any tips from people who have used this lens that would help the quality?
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul,

Make sure back focus is nailed, it is critical on a lens like the HJ40.

Also, I've found that even with a heavy tripod, vibrations in the floor will show up on camera so try and get on firm ground!

It's a great lens, have fun.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Mike,

Great point on the back focus I will make sure I nail it.

As for firm ground I not a problem I will be on bed rock.
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't use the IS if you're following movement or it'll make you dizzy! It's really only locked off subjects as it see pans and tilts and compensates for them so you can't use it for moving targets at all really. You can set it so that it just compensates for either pan or tilt however if your subject is moving only in one plane.
I'm not keen on the focus assist. On one hand it's nice because the focus ring is so big (I've got quite small hands) and also gets your hand off the lens to stop it wobbling, but you just don't get the same feel as having your lens on the barrel.
I also hate the Canon support system that comes with it. First off it raises the whole setup by a couple of inches, which is crazy as you want the lowest centre of gravity as possible, and secondly it incorporates the dreadful Sony VCT14 plate. I'd use either a flat plate or the Ronford Baker SAP plate.
Be interested to hear how well you get on with your tripod head too, I've got a 9kg O'Connor 2060HD plus heavy duty Sachtler legs and only just find that OK at the long end of the HJ40!
Hope it all goes well for you.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Here's the HJ40 on my plate http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...d-img_6695.jpg
Not my head here, I was testing out a Cartoni Master at the time (not that impressed incidentally).
Steve
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Steve I thought you might jump in with your experience using long glass.

So if I am locked down and not moving I will see what happens when I switch off the IS. I know I will also play with pan on/off on IS when I will be following at times. Will also have a 7" Marshal on so I am not stuck in the VF all the time.

I also don't like the Canon bottom plate but $650 for three full days is worth the try.

I will use my Rondford Baker bottom plate which I purchased on your recommendation. It really is night and day with longer glass.

As for my Vinten Vision 100 head I have been very impressed with the load up to 35lbs so far so it will be interesting with this setup at around the same weight. The head amazes me every time I use it how well I can set up balance and pan/tilt tension. Sooo much better then my Miller 55.

I use the lens next week so after the shoot I will post a few clips on my ER page to check out.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you're locked off then yes, the IS makes a BIG difference at 800mm.
It might be possible to mount the HJ40 without the Canon support thing, I did it with a Fujinon HA36x105 (see pic).
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Using Canon HJ 40x10B on F800-dscn1718.jpg  
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Just remembered, I tried a Vinten Vision 100 and must admit that I was quite impressed by it (I've never been a Vinten fan so was assuming it would be awful).
Seem to recall the counterbalance worked pretty well (stepless like the O'Connors) and much smoothere and with less backlash than I'd expected. Not surprised your happy with it.
Steve
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for the picture Steve I will give that a try. Lowering the VCG will make a huge difference to the head performance.

Yea the Vinten surprised me when I checked it out at Abel Cine Tech. I was expecting to go a different route but it tested great and the Fibertech sticks are a dream in the field.

The Fujinon in the picture has a huge focus ring.
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Steve shot with the lens today and it is a very nice tool. Kept the IS on all the time since my pans were very slow, and my tilts even slower, it did a great job. Did not use the extender but a few times. Stayed at max zoom or close on a lot of shots. Haze came in late in the day so it was tough but shot 2 full 23GB+ disk.

One note on the Rondford Baker plate: I tried to use the plate but could not with the lens since the plate has two threaded holes very close and would not work. Very disappointed since that is what i really purchased it for in the first place.
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

So do you mean that the Canon plate would not interface with the Ronford one?
Steve
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #12
Inner Circle

That is correct Steve,

The Rondford one has threaded holes too closely spaced for the Canon Mount support so I used the Sony quick release plate. Need a Rondford baker plate?
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I wouldn't get rid of the Ronford plate, I'd not use the Canon bit. It should fairly easily be possible to support the HJ40 on the Ronford bars, as I did with the Fujinon in my pics. The added benefit there is that it's simple to change from the HJ40 to a normal lens.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts