Writing XDCAM-HD clip to HDV tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 19th, 2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Major Player

Writing XDCAM-HD clip to HDV tape?

A customer of mine wants his high-definition clip, recorded in XDCAM-HD delivered on an HDV-tape.
In FCP, I cannot do this directly. Does anyone know a way around to write XDCAM (or Prores-) clips to HDV tape?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Found the solution in the meantime. Export clip from FCP to QT movie with setting 'Apple Intermediate Codec'. Then import the QT movie in FCP again. Choose 'Write to video' and record on an HDV-tape in my Sony Z7. Works like a charm.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Major Player

If you ever have the chance to use Vegas: You simply select the region to export to tape and go to "print to HDV tape" - Vegas prerenders the video as HDV1080 and records it to tape after.

Some interesting benefit: If the material is shot in XDCAM HD 420 SP there is no transrecoding process - since HDV and 420SP are same GOP and resolution (at 25mbits) - so the copy starts nearly instantly even with long videos.

If a customer asks for a HDV tape (and no 422) or "simple HD recordings" I usually use this way...

best regards

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for this extra info, Uli. Always useful!
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Major Player

Or you could just import your XDCAM HD footage into an FCP HDV sequence, render and output to tape.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Allright, I'll give that a try too. Thanks everyone!
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Also, if you have an XDCAM deck that has the optional card that allows transport (HDV) output via the firewire connector you could go directly from the XDHD deck to an HDV deck or camera.
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Major Player

I only have the PDW-U1 as a reader-writer. That doesn't work in this case, I presume.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts