Adapting PDW-F350 for left-eyed cameraman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Adapting PDW-F350 for left-eyed cameraman

I can only focus correctly with my left eye, but the viewfinder adjusting slide on the PDW-F350 doesn't move over far enough to the left to allow for comfortable left-eye operation. In the manual I find that there is an adaptor, but 'only for PDW-F330', it says. Does anyone know an affordable solution to this problem for the PDW-F350?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Luc,

I wasn't even aware that there was an adapter for left-eye shooters, so I might be totally wrong on this, but I can't see why something that was created for the F330 wouldn't also work with the F350. The physical differences between those two cameras are very minor.

Before you give up on that adapter, you should contact Sony and get more information. I'll bet you'll find it will work on either camera.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but it's worth looking into further before writing it off as incompatible.
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Major Player

these adaptions are common - and most viewfinder mechanisms are built the same way.

The adapter you are mentioning is compatible with all PDW-Fxxx.

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Doug, I'll call them today. I'll keep you posted.
Old October 28th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm not familiar with the viewfinder on this cam but I had a DSR-400 that I have sold and still have the left eye adapter that I had used wtih it. I had a terrible time even finding one and ultimately had to order one from Sony which they shipped in from Japan (for for the crazy price $250!!!). It's just a short extension of the rail that the viewfinder adjustment rides on -- if it would work for you contact me.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I had a machinist friend make me a little off-set piece to move the viewfinder over a bit. It is made of aluminum, and attaches to the sliding rods. It wasn't very hard too make.
Peter Newsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Tom, I asked my Sony dealer what it would cost to order the appropriate Sony part to shift the viewfinder to the left. I'll also try to find out if your adaptor would fit the viewfinder on my PDW-F350 (it's a DXF-20W type).
If so, could you let me know what you would want for it? Unfortunately, I'll have to add 28%, as this is what Belgian customs are adding when a parcel enters this silly country.

Uli, thanks for confirming that it's the same adaptor as for the F330.

Luc
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Major Player

I couldn't remember what viewfinder it had on it and so I looked it up on the Sony website:

Sony Product Detail Page DSR400K

Looks like it was a DXF-801 viewfinder -- I thought it was a DXF-601 but that's probably an
incorrect model number.

If you're still interested make me an offer. Sorry for being so long to reply. I just happened to
check back on the post today.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Tom,

I'm going to try and find out if that extension would fit on my viewfinder. Unless somenone here already knows? (Uli perhaps?) If so, I'm interested.
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Tom,

my local dealer proposes this: PushOver Viewfinder Extension Bracket for Sony Video Cameras | VFGadgets.com as a possible solution.

Is this the same that you have?

Could you send me a picture by mail of the extension you have?

best regards
Luc
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Here's what I have:

http://www.videoscope.com/pdf_files/...50_Service.pdf

Look at page 11.

Here's a pic from a post on another forum (hope this is OK to do this -- I couldn't get it to copy the pic into this post).
FS: Left Eye Adapter for Sony DXF-801 Viewfinder

I used it for a Sony DSR400 camcorder viewfinder (DXF801 viewfinder). The Sony Part Number for the adapter is A-8267-181-A.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:12 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Tom,

looks like this would work. What would you ask for the adapter, shipping to Belgium (postal number 8300) included?
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Luc -- email sent.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts