AC-DN10 power supply beefy enough for PDW-700? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AC-DN10 power supply beefy enough for PDW-700?

We have been using the higher output (150 watts, 9amps) AC-DN2B with no problems but have recently purchased an AC-DN10(100 watts, 6amps). We're getting complaints that it is really hot to the touch under normal operating conditions. Anybody have similiar complaints or issues? Our DP's do not normally use on-board lighting or power anything else externally.
Gene Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #2
Trustee

The AC-DN10 unit is rated high enough to power the PDW-700 but that doesn't mean it will be cool to the touch doing it. Looks like it is really made for lower power consumption cameras. I have bought many off brand power supplies which claimed to have enough power to run gear. Many of them did but died after a while while the more expensive manufacturer made units kept working. I would ask Sony if they recommend this unit for the PDW-700.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Major Player

The actual owners manual states on page 39:

"For safety, use only the Sony battery packs and
AC adaptors listed below.
• BP-GL95/GL65/L60S/L80S Lithium-ion
Battery Pack
• AC power using the AC-DN2B/DN10 AC
Adaptor"

I am using the AC-DN10 quite often on the pdw700 (without loading a battery at the same time) and I dont think its getting to hot.

Best regards

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Trustee

Good find Uli,
So we don't know if Genes unit is defective or you have less sensitive fingers. Or maybe because he is using 120 volt power which draws more amperage for the same output as you do in Germany and the unit actually does run hotter in different voltage environments.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I tested the unit and wasn't able to duplicate the problem...it did get a little warm though. I know the Anton Bauer Quad 2702(rated at 70 watts) couldn't power a PDW-700. I sent the DP some suggestions--found on this forum- on how to reduce power consumption:

- In Operation Menu 01, switch OFF HD/SDI Output 1 and 2 if you don’t use them
- In Operation Menu 07, Disable Ethernet/USB and iLink if not being used
- In Operation menu 07 switch the record audio out to SAVE from EE
- turn off mic phantom power 48v in back also
- don’t use LCD

I wasn't able to get the full story from the freelance DP on whether or not he was using on-board lighting or anything else powered externally.
Gene Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts