How to give client Windows hard drive from XDCAM discs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old May 5th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Major Player

How to give client Windows hard drive from XDCAM discs

Shot a program for client on XDCAM PDW-700 and we edited in FCP. They want back up files delivered in Windows compatible files. I have 2 windows computers. Can I use any Sony software to take the XDCAM discs with my reader to lay those off to a windows hard drive that they can use?
Seems like a simple question.. just want to make them happy.

They say that they can use MOV files that I already have.. just need to get them to a Windows formatted drive. Maybe there is a utility to take a MAC drive to make it readable to a Windoz system?

Thank you,
George
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How to give client Windows hard drive from XDCAM discs

Mac users send me ProRes files on a regular basis and I can use them fine in Windows

I wish it worked as simple the other way around, Windows users should be allowed to use the ProRes codec to convert windows files for Mac use, but this is not the case

they will not be able to use the native MXF files unless they have editing software such as Edius

also, they will not be able to see anything on a Mac formatted hard disk unless they purchase Macdrive8 for windows
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Telecam Films

Do you know what edit app they will use on the PC? Some editing apps may not be able to read .mov XDCAM files rewrapped by FCPro. In any case, it is best to send them the XD material in its native form with all the metadata that was on the discs. In order to do so:

1. Install the PDW-U1 Driver (that's the reader you have right?) to your PC. Free download here:
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...del-PDWU1.aspx

2. Connect the PDW-U1 to your PC

3. Insert XDCAM disc

4. Disc will mount as a storage device and will show up in "My Computer"

5. For each XD disc you want to sent to your client, create a folder on the storage device. Your can name them Disc 1, Disc 2, etc... I often append XDCAM HD420 and frame rate to the folder name so the content is obvious.

6. Drag the entire content of each XD disc in each of the discs folders you have prepared

Best,

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; May 6th, 2011 at 05:56 AM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Thierry- I did what you suggested. Involved re-importing, but was ultimately more dependable.

George

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts