Multicam matching PDW700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old August 29th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Multicam matching PDW700

Can someone tell me the correct procedure for a matching 4 pdw700 for a multi cam shoot,
Do i need to load cameras with the scene file only or is there other steps like the all file and the user file?
What does a all file contain?
What does a user file contain?
what does a scene file contain?
Any help appreciated!
Brad Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Multicam matching PDW700

Here you go . . .

Vortex Media's XDCAM Field Guides
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi,

you need a good testchart (DSC Labs Chromadumonde) and a vectorscope + waveform monitor.

Light the testchart and use all cameras "Matrix" and Gamma Settings to create the same results with one chart...

Best regards

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Brad,

I think you may be looking for a short cut. Take one file and load it into all cameras. Correct?

Doug's book is the bible for 700/800, and if you are really serious about knowing about the cameras and if you are responsible for placing them on a set, it is a must. There is so much more to these cameras than just common set up.

Uli is also correct in his advice. There can and will be base line differences in like cameras, and using the DSC vector/waveform, (I mean I real vector with 2X) is the only true way of matching them up. This way takes $ also. I have invested in a 1200 (Which expires after 2 years),chart along with a 7000 Waveform/Vector and spent the time aligning/realigning all of my cameras. I am reluctant to pass on files I have generated due to the factors stated above. Unless you pay me 500/camera like some services provide.

That being said you can go download the Sony 700/800 files from Sony. see
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
And then down load the manual see
http://ws.sel.sony.com/PIPWebService...al_Current.pdf

And do the short cut with less than 100% guarantee that all 4 will match.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
New Boot

The choice of lens on all 4 kits will make a big difference as well. if you try to mix one hd lens with an sd lens they will not match up but depending on the shoot and budget you will just have to do the best you can with what you have. i personally would load the same scene file into the cameras white balance with the same white balance card and tweak the final look by eye if it is not a broadcast shoot. to do it correctly see above posts.
good luck
Des Carolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Major Player

thats right...

here is my recipe:

If you have no other possibilities: Simply copy an ALL File from the "best" camera to all others.
This doesnt help for different looking lenses of course. But hopefully all 4 are not totally screwed up.

If you have the chance: do the matching via a testchart and an experienced person to set up colors (matrix) and gamma (Gamma Menu), including lens files.

Best regards

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Uli Dennis and Des for pointing me in the right direction!
I had been loading only the scene file to all cameras with moderate success. I am now thinking the different lenses are what has been is giving me grief.
Brad Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts