pdw-700 import to disc problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
Tourist

pdw-700 import to disc problem

A major client of mine now wants all video sent to them on xdcam disc as a fully functioning disc, proxies etc.
I have 700 firewired to sony viao computer, I have connectivity to the camera, view clips, play and import them. I can even write mxf files to the userdata file on the disc. No matter what I do it will not let me export video to the xdcam clip file and create a disc. I get a non specific error message.
I have tried using vegas9, Clip browser and Content browser and on 2 different computers with freshly formatted discs. All firmware is up to date.
Is there some setting on the camera that I am overlooking?
Its as if there is a record inhibit put on only the clip folder of the xdcam disc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Dave Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: pdw-700 import to disc problem

HI,

I am doing this day by day with vegas, just some little tweaks necessary:

First be sure you have activated free naming of clips - otherwise the disc will accept only very strong reglemented countered clip names (C0001.mxf etc.)

Have a try:
________

Go to menu FILE NAMING

Change entry from C***** to TITLE

in the page before that page you can define a general title scheme that is produced by camera recordings.
NOW the pdw700 accepts all kind of names you produce with your PC.
(like Clip01.mxf , footage0815.mxf , master05072012.mxf and so on)

If NOT in this mode, the disc usually denies taking a nonconform clip name, sometimes even if you think you are right (however)

NEXT:

in VEGAS

Decide what your format is.
I found it helpful to switch disk behavior to "mixed", that means heavy or slightly different recording formats can be mixed on a disk.

Example: If you recorded an SD colour bar within the camera, the PDW700 denies any clips that arent exactly in this format (error code isnt helpful).

Format the disk.

Make your first experiments with mixed recording enabled (ALL Menu 078 or so).
If this works , you can go to mixed rec disabled for better customer compatibility and do your next steps later.

NOW
Its important to meet the XDCAM specs when exporting to disc (into clip folders)

a) Use the XDCAM PDW700 (50mbit) preset, check if this is NTSC or PAL frequency , otherwise change the preset (50 frames/60 frames aka 25 / 30 interlaced)

b) export a short clip aka "file1.mxf" to harddrive

c) from harddrive, copy & paste the clip into a formatted disk, CLIP folder.

If this generally works, you can disable mixed rec and export/copy & paste the next one.

Feel free to contact me : info@morsmedia.de , I am an XDCAM Sony I.C.E. (indep. cert. expert) trainer in Germany.

Uli
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This is normally caused by a either a file compatibility issue or a file naming issue. Its been a while since ive done this so im going from memory:
First check you have file naming set to "title" or "free" on the camera. Make sure that the .mxf of the clip your trying to export is uppercase .MXF
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks to both of you. The file naming C*** was my biggest problem. After fixing that I can export to disc using content browser.
What I need to do is take pmw F5 HD422 50 mbs and export it to xdcam disc as a fully functioning disc with proxies etc.
Is f5 footage going to be the same xdcam mxf files that my 700 shoots so that I can literally drag and drop the files from sxs to xdcam disc clip folder and create a disc with proxies just as my 700 would without any kind of rendering?
Thanks again for the help
Dave Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

F5 422 XDCAM material should be 100% optical disc compatible.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Major Player

agree.

Sony HD422 XDCAM is a standard, could be different in audio channels (PDW700 records 4ch).

Have a try!

ULi
Uli Mors is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts