Lenses for 1/2" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 1st, 2006, 03:57 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I would think that the Pro35 should be adaptable to the F350 via the same adapter that allows for the use of other 2/3" lenses, but I have no official word on that. The focal length would probably be multiplied by 1.37 but the DoF would stay the same as when using a 2/3" camera.
Scot Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Contributor

If you like the look of the ground glass adapters, then it would be a cheaper solution than buying a more expensive camera. I haven't used one of those adapters personally, but have seen some footage. Some of it is good, some not so good. One nice thing about them is that you don't have to go rent motion picture camera primes--you can use 35mm still camera lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2006, 11:56 PM   #18
Major Player

I've looked into 35mm adapters quite a bit but don't really see them being a practical solution (for me anyway). I can't help feeling if they were, then the manufacturers would be building something similar into cameras/lenses themselves.

If you have a very specfic requirement and environment i guess they can be useful. But pretty much everything i've seen is quite soft, lots of aberrations and generally only used 'wide open' which makes for great web DOF tests but not very useful across the range (and you don't want to be pulling the apapter on and off for different shots). When you stop them down you get more noise and problems plus of course there's the light loss.

I don't know how fast the new 1/2" lenses are but i would imagine they are firmly aimed at ENG which doesn't really need the DOF narrative storytelling can find useful. And if you used 2/3" lenses you're probably looking at widest fov of 25mm-ish with a prime. With regard to using non HD lenses i've read that HD specific ones are coated in a way that reduces problems with 3 CCD blocks and the differences of light paths through prisms, i have no idea whether that makes a *real* difference though?

But if the latitude of this XDCAM s *that* much better (2 stops) than the prosumers that makes it interesting to me. Isn't there a 2/3" panasonic P2 as well? DPX400 or something? Plus there's the infinity as well, which is 2/3". Maybe NAB would gives us something to go on.
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM   #19
Contributor

Obviously I haven't checked out yet, but I'm thinking that shooting with a 1/2" chip camera that has 16:9 chips, as these do, might give me about the same depth of field control I get when shooting in 4:3 with my DSR500. Since the camera crops in from the sides when doing 4:3, I'm essentially shooting with smaller chips when in that mode. In most situations, by adding an ND, I can keep my backgrounds as soft as I want, but it's more difficult than when I'm shooting using the full chip in 16:9.

Actually, it's not a major issue for me because, in most cases, I only want a shallower depth of field in closeups and some medium shots. I can do that fairly well with a 1/3" chip camera (at least the CUs).

When shooting with one of those ground glass adapters, isn't the image you see in the viewfinder flipped? I'd think it would be, but maybe not. In the footage I saw from a feature shot with one, projected theatrically, the closeups didn't look bad, though a bit soft. But the medium shots sort of looked as if they had been shot through a screen door.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #20
Regular Crew

when I look around the manufacturers sites for more telephoto reach, I couldn't find easily, including 2/3' lenses. isn't there any telephoto for xdcam beyond 20x,

I try to find an hd alternative for my xl2,

thanks
alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Here are the links to the Fujinon lenses for the 1/2" XDCAM HD. The 18x5.5 would be the longest. Of course for 2/3" both Canon and Fujinon have lots of telephoto lenses, just visit their sites.

http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...essRelease=165

http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...cgi?parent=349
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Devlin
Here are the links to the Fujinon lenses for the 1/2" XDCAM HD. The 18x5.5 would be the longest. Of course for 2/3" both Canon and Fujinon have lots of telephoto lenses, just visit their sites.

http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...essRelease=165

http://www.fujinonbroadcast.com/cgi-...cgi?parent=349
I spent a little time on your site and also downloaded a number of your M2T files. Nice work!

I have access to a Canon XL-H1 that I have used from time to time for a documentary I am working on. I have a Sony Z1U and would like to sell it and upgrade to either the Canon H1 or one of the new Sony XDCAM HD cameras.

Originally I wanted to use the XL-H1 and output to HD SDI. However, lately I have been considering the Sony F330 or F350 instead. Here's why.

I noticed that the stock Canon lens on the XL-H1 has some problems with Chromatic Aberation (CA). When I saw your footage of the point, and the harbor at Cabo San Lucas, I noticed that your XL-H1 footage shows CA problems too.

I also downloaded your hummer trail files and noticed problems with CA in both of the files, hummer trail part1.m2t, and, hummer trail part2.m2t. The problems were most prominent in the upper-right hand area of the screen where the trees expose hard vertical edges, but also, anywhere hard vertical edges were contasted against a brighter background. Were these files both shot with your F350? What lens were you using?

I have been very dissatisfied with all the lenses I have used on low-end HD cameras. The Z1 has some problems, The HD100 has problems, The XL-H1 has problems and it appears that the Sony F330/350 lenses may have problems too.

In your opinion, do the stock lenses for the Sony XDCAM HD cameras have CA problems as severe as the XL-H1 lens? Do the other Canon and Fujinon lenses for the Sony F330/350 have CA problems too? Are my expectations too high?

I would appreciate any input you have since I am shooting in 24p with the XL-H1 (I'm shooting 50i on my Z1U and converting) and going to film. However I wouldn't want to look at CA as severe as that of the XL-H1 on a 60 foot screen. Are there better lenses for the XL-H1 or should I consider the Sony F330/350? How do the Sony lens options compare to Canon's XL-H1 lens?

You are my man since you have had experience with both cameras. I hope you are willing to share your experiences with these lenses.

--Dave

Last edited by Dave F. Nelson; May 22nd, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The Hummer shots were done with the F350 using the Fujinon HSs18x5.5BRD lens. The "stock" lens offered with the F300K is lower resolution and has more CA. The HSs18x5.5BRD is very sharp and has less (but still some) CA.

As I mentioned in another post, somehow the process of getting the 35Mbps from the camera to M2T files seems to exaggerate the CA slightly. I think it has something to do with the 4:2:0 sampling and the conversion from 35Mbps to HDSDI to Avid DNxHD then to M2T files. Once we can import files directly from the XDCAM HD (Media Composer 2.5, which should be next month) then this may improve. Anyway, there is less apparent CA live out through the HDSDI direct to a projector or even HDSDI into Avid, which tells me it is not all a lens issue. It is interesting how all the parts of the system interact. I have noticed that even just shooting a resolution chart the F350 does much better with diagonal or horizontal lines than the H1 (they are similar for vertical lines), so there are lots of things going on here.

As always, get the best lens you can. I am sure that if I went with the Fujinon HS16x4.6BERM (30% more cost than the HSs18x) there would be essentially no detectable CA. It does seem that more $ equals less CA (with exceptions I am sure). There are lots of good lens options now for the XDCAM HD, and I do think it is has more resolution and less CA than the XLH1. Both are great cameras (at different price points).

I guess another way to put it is that I have not used my XLH1 much since I got the F350, which probably tells you something! The extra lattitude is essential for all the outdoor work I do and often makes lighting an indoor shot easier.
Old May 24th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Devlin
The Hummer shots were done with the F350 using the Fujinon HSs18x5.5BRD lens. The "stock" lens offered with the F300K is lower resolution and has more CA. The HSs18x5.5BRD is very sharp and has less (but still some) CA...

...I guess another way to put it is that I have not used my XLH1 much since I got the F350, which probably tells you something! The extra lattitude is essential for all the outdoor work I do and often makes lighting an indoor shot easier.
Thank you Mike. I appreciate your reply. I am leaning even harder now in the direction of an XDCAM solution rather than the XL-H1. I don't shoot as much outdoors, but extra latitude is always useful.

Thanks again.

--Dave
Dave F. Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts