XDCAM HD on a Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM HD on a Mac

Hey guys,

I just recently received an f350 and so far I'm loving the camera itself. Absolutely stunning pictures.

The problem I've encoutered is that I was told that it would be no problem to double up the camera as a deck (no heads to wear out etc..) and that I could simply plug it in throught the IEEE 1394 connection and the camera would act as an external hard drive essentially.

I run a Mac G5 with Final Cut Pro 5. Unfortunately I've now found out that Sony has drivers for the PC but nothing for the Mac yet. Apparently some beta drivers are in the works? Does anyone know anything about the beta drivers and where I might find them?

I have heard that the initial drivers also only support the 25Mbps data rate which is very disappointing as Discovery Channel HD recently announced that they would accept the 35Mbps footage as full quality HD. I've scoured the internet for news and info on this topic, but I guess the technology is too new for there to be much.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy Spruston
Jeremy Spruston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

At NAB, the Sony reps said sometime in late June was when they expected to have software available to transcode the .MXF into .MOV for FCP ingest. I haven't heard anything different than that.

There is a software solution from Flip4mac that I believe runs about $500.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Greg... I have downloaded the flip4mac software, but it doesn't seem to work as a solution for the f350. It does add a 'Sony Xdcam' and 'Sony Xdcam (local files)' option in the Import menu in Final Cut Pro, but I am unable to access the actual files on the camera. I'm assuming that some sort of driver is needed to make the actual computer recognize the camera as a device so I can see the files on the Professional Disc.

I hope the made sense. It's all pretty frustrating!
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM   #4
New Boot

You can write to them for guide?

http://www.flip4mac.com/fusetalk/for...lcache=7429398

So lucky of you to have your f350!
I wonder your information about import XDCAM MXF into
FCP. Please post it if it's solved. Thanks.

Oh, if you transport the MXF files to PC and copy them to Mac.
Then can you import them to FCP by Flip4Mac?
Joy Kwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Contributor

I read something recently about the FCP5.1 Universal upgrade that deals with the MXF thing. I think you can do the upgrade really cheaply, so you might want to go check that out on the Apple site.

About no head wear--true, but I think the laser wears, or some part of it or something. There is a finite life.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not completely sure, but isn't the Final Cut 5.1 upgrade just the Universal Binary version? Or, as someone who just purchased 5.0 (now 5.0.4), do I have to shell out more cash just to get 5.1?
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Rextilleon

Greg is right on this one--soon to be released but not released yet.
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Contributor

True, it's the Universal version but I'm fairly sure I read something about XDCAM in relation to that version.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
True, it's the Universal version but I'm fairly sure I read something about XDCAM in relation to that version.
Bill, it was announced at NAB '06 that an 'impending' software update would be able to handle XDCAM HD, CANON 24/30F, and JVC 24/30P. Your guess is as good as mine on what timeframe 'impending' means. No one seems to have any info on that.

The 5.1 upgrade is the universal binary but it's also worth the $49 upgrade for G5 owners because they've improved render times for that processor as well.

-gb-

p.s. I was up in Overland Park a couple weeks ago. Had some awesome BBQ at a KC Masterpiece restaurant.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Contributor

Damn--next time call me. KC Masterpiece is only adequate. You need to go to Arthur Bryant's to get the real thing.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm actually heading out to shoot for a few weeks with my new f350 (pretty excited to actually get in the field and use it!!). I work for a sportfishing television show, so the camera will definitely be put through the outdoor paces.

Just a little concerned that when I get back I'm going to be stuck with some discs full of footage that I can't yet utilize in the editing suite. I'm planning on shotting in 60i at 25 Mbps just in case (though I would like to shoot at 35 Mbps). Anyone have any other suggestions to make my future editing work easiest?
Old June 4th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Trustee

First of all Joy Kwan, sorry I haven't been back in touch. Been quite busy recently. The smallest file I have is around 92mb in size. I take it you are wanting XDCAM HD footage?

Jeremy, the shooting format is an issue with XDCAM HD at the moment unfortunately. Also AFAIK only the decks have the ability to output an HDV compatible stream. So recording at 25mbps is not a way of ensuring HDV compatibility unless you have the decks with the relevant option board installed.

My suggestion would be to record at 35mbps, and then ingest into the NLE using the 350's HD SDI out. This isn't ideal I know. Thats the trouble with being an early adopter. However I can assure you that it won't be long now before the various NLE's gain full compatibility.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Simon,

I've been told that the HD SDI coming out is uncompressed video. Is that true? If so, I'll have to figure out a different method of digitizing, as I believe the bitrate would be too high for my external FW800 drives (or so I've been told anyways). Machine control would be a bit of an issue too. I've also heard that the variable bitrate of the 18 and 35 Mbps may not work as well as the constant bitrate of the 25?

So many questions!! Thanks for all of your help so far guys. I'm pretty pumped to get out and shoot with this camera, just have a feeling I'll be tearing my hair out to get at the footage later.
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:14 AM   #14
Trustee

The 35mbps mode of the XDCAM HD is superior to the 25mbps mode (hence the reason Discovery accept it unrestricted now).

Yes, the signal out of the HD-SDI is uncompressed, but how it saves onto your computer depends on the codec used. As I mentioned, shooting 25mbps mode will not enable you to stream like HDV unless you have the XDCAM HD deck with the relevant option board installed. So regardless of the datarate used the same problem exists.

Which editing system are you using at the moment?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks again Simon,

I'm currently using Final Cut Pro. The real difficulty for me right now is even getting the camera recognized as a device on my mac. Don't have a way to even look at my files yet.

I'm heading out on my shoot today and I'm not sure how much internet access I'll have, but hopefully I'll be able to periodically post some of my experiences in the field.

Thanks!
Jeremy Spruston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts