AF lens, set begin & end focus points and return? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old June 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Contributor

Thanks for that brochure link, Greg. I have a couple of questions maybe somebody can answer:

With that auto focus lens, can you set beginning and end focus points and return to them, or does it work like the other electronic lenses?

And, I was a little distressed to see in the specs that the S/N ratio is only 54. Are things different in the HD world, or does this camera just have a low S/N ratio?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Regular Crew

No Bill.

You cannot mark a focus point and then return to it by pressing a button, like on the H1.

That not said, you cannot use it for rack focusing!
There is a distance, ft meter or numeric, measure bar, in the viewfinder, it’s actually quite accurate, use it to return to the same point.

By practice, it is manually possible to return to a previous focus point.

The ring spins indefinitely but it is quite accurate and the speed of action increases by the speed you turns the ring.

The push button is no god, not near as fast, an far from as accurate as on my XL1s. Sometimes it misses the focus point completely, even if the object is spot on in the centre of the picture.

In the end, it would have been better with a ring with end stops, it al a matter of economic though.

Live with some of the downfalls and get a sharp cheap lens!!!!!
Pay five times more and get a two times better lens!!!!!
That’s the question!!

About the S/N issue. All I can say, the camera produce a splendid picture…
Brian Bang Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Contributor

What I mean by returning to focus points was not setting them electronically, but can you mark a spot on the lens and return to the same spot and the focus is the same?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

To that question, the answer must be no.

Because it spins indefinitely, the same point on the focusring is not the same focus point every time.

The only difference between the focusring on my XL1s and the one on my F330 is that manually operated the one on the F330 is more accurate.
Brian Bang Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #5
Contributor

OK, thanks. I thought that would be the case.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts