DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   FCP XDCAM Transfer is out! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/71029-fcp-xdcam-transfer-out.html)

Nate Weaver July 7th, 2006 10:48 AM

FCP XDCAM Transfer is out!
 
Just downloaded and installed. I'll be testing it in two jiffys.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...M_Transfer.zip

Always nice to see Mike Curtis is looking out for us!

Nate Weaver July 7th, 2006 11:06 AM

Well, it works. :-)

Looks like it has quite a bit more functionality than the Flip4Mac plugin.

Since I only have sample MXFs I can't comment on FAM access. Greg?

Greg Boston July 7th, 2006 11:19 AM

Just downloaded...give me a few minutes.

-gb-

Greg Boston July 7th, 2006 12:58 PM

OK, I have been doing some tests. Although they say it only supports clips in 25mb mode, I have imported a clip that was done at 60p overcrank. The bitrate is halved to 17.5 VBR from the 35mb VBR quality setting because the vertical resolution is halved on overcrank. But it unwrapped just fine. I am going to upload it to the server.

It's a 39mb file of lighting an artillery shell (consumer firework). I had the shutter off so it's equal the framerate.

-gb-

Troy Wilson July 7th, 2006 01:34 PM

I tried importing 35mb 30p and 60i. I can view it in the viewer however an error message pops up stating that this version does not support the codec. Otherwise it seems to be working pretty well. Quick and easy to use...

Update: can't import 30p in 25mb only 60i and 24p

Greg Boston July 7th, 2006 02:20 PM

Okay...here is the Quicktime file produced by XDCAM Transfer from the original MXF clip.

http://media.dvinfo.net/slomofireworks.movx

Do not click the link, use right click and save as or else you'll see a browser window full of garbage. Download then remove the 'x' from the end of the filename to play it.

-gb-

Greg Boston July 7th, 2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troy Wilson
I tried importing 35mb 30p and 60i. I can view it in the viewer however an error message pops up stating that this version does not support the codec. Otherwise it seems to be working pretty well. Quick and easy to use...

Update: can't import 30p in 25mb only 60i and 24p


That's correct Troy. This version doesn't support 35mb rate. That's why I was surprised to see it would do the slo-mo stuff. I was of the impression that this version does not support 18mb rate either. But clearly it knows how to handle 17.5mb vbr so perhaps it will do the 18mb vbr files as well.

I am going to do a quick test shot to see. What happens when you try to bring in 30p from 25mb mode?

-gb-

Troy Wilson July 7th, 2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
What happens when you try to bring in 30p from 25mb mode?

-gb-

Same error message. The 24p stuff works fine. It all seems to correspond to the preset XDCAM sequences that came with the software. I figured the 35mb stuff won't work yet but it was worth a try...

Greg Boston July 7th, 2006 03:10 PM

It won't accept the 18mb vbr stuff. They said it wouldn't, but like you, I had to try. Just seems odd that it will accept it when it's 35mb at half speed for slo-mo stuff. Both clips show as 17.5mb VBR.

-gb-

Simon Wyndham July 7th, 2006 03:29 PM

I think the whole thing is odd. I don't see why they bothered to release something that won't allow people to use the datarate that they will most often use.

Not good at all. The Mac is really getting a raw deal when it comes to XD.

Nate Weaver July 7th, 2006 07:39 PM

Looks like Blackmagic doesn't like the overcranked shots.

Since the file is really 1440x540, it's more scaling than Blackmagic can manage in real time. when trying to play in viewer out to BM, it sticks on a still frame.

When put in a timeline, it invokes the orange RT bar. Renders out fine though. wonder how Kona does? FCP displays fine in viewer and canvas, though, without any complaints.

[edit: The Apple XDCAM HD whitepaper mentions this as it turns out. "Overcranked shots will have to be rendered"]

Greg Boston July 9th, 2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Looks like Blackmagic doesn't like the overcranked shots.

Since the file is really 1440x540, it's more scaling than Blackmagic can manage in real time. when trying to play in viewer out to BM, it sticks on a still frame.

When put in a timeline, it invokes the orange RT bar. Renders out fine though. wonder how Kona does? FCP displays fine in viewer and canvas, though, without any complaints.

[edit: The Apple XDCAM HD whitepaper mentions this as it turns out. "Overcranked shots will have to be rendered"]

Nate, when I play back an overcrank .MOV created by XDCAM XFER, its resolution is still reported as 1920X1080 with a VBR of 17.5mb

-gb-

Nate Weaver July 9th, 2006 05:59 PM

If you look at the properties of the mov in Quicktime Pro, it reads 1440x540.

When it comes to Quicktime files, there's the true resolution of the file, what it's been scaled to view at by the file creator, and then what the file was modified to play at by the user. It's really kinda crazy, there's can be 3 sizes in a quicktime file.

Anyway, the different apps report them all differently at times. Check the file out in QT Pro.

Greg Boston July 9th, 2006 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
If you look at the properties of the mov in Quicktime Pro, it reads 1440x540.

When it comes to Quicktime files, there's the true resolution of the file, what it's been scaled to view at by the file creator, and then what the file was modified to play at by the user. It's really kinda crazy, there's can be 3 sizes in a quicktime file.

Anyway, the different apps report them all differently at times. Check the file out in QT Pro.

I was referring to QT Pro playback earlier, all three sizes are being reported at 1920X1080. Have a look.

-gb-

Nate Weaver July 9th, 2006 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know, here's the info panel you get when you Apple-I:

Simon Wyndham July 10th, 2006 02:46 AM

They are 1440x540 with a pixel aspect of 0.666.

Piotr Moty July 10th, 2006 10:21 PM

I'm running into a missing codec problem when trying to import overcranked 60p footage. Does anybody where I can obtain the proper codec?

Nate Weaver July 11th, 2006 12:09 AM

You need Final Cut Pro 5.1.1 and the latest ProApps update

Hornady Setiawan July 11th, 2006 03:43 AM

damn... so i guess windows users cannot view it huh?

Greg Boston July 11th, 2006 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
They are 1440x540 with a pixel aspect of 0.666.

I know what the 'true' resolution is being recorded at. I was confused when I saw the 1920X1080 show up for the video track in Movie Properties. But when I did it the way Nate did, I got the same results that Nate did. IOW, I wondered why this was happening. I was never contesting the 'actual' resolution the camera produces during overcrank.

-gb-

Simon Wyndham July 11th, 2006 11:59 AM

Sorry Greg, I didn't mean to come across as if I was correcting you. Merely confirming how the files are.

Greg Boston July 11th, 2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham
Sorry Greg, I didn't mean to come across as if I was correcting you. Merely confirming how the files are.

No offense taken at all, Simon. I was just curious about 'reported resolution' being different than actual resolution on that one Quicktime dialog. Nate and I discussed it via IM the other night.

-gb-

Greg Boston July 11th, 2006 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hornady Setiawan
damn... so i guess windows users cannot view it huh?

Avid Liquid 7 is supporting the camera files...even in 35mb mode if I understand Brian's posts correctly.

-gb-

Brian Bang Jensen July 13th, 2006 04:06 AM

You are right Greg. I have shot 50I 35mbit, and imported it into Avid without any problem.
When you look at the properties, the files keep their original 35mbit bitrate when imported.
It is even possibly to export the files from Avid Liquid 7, in a variable bitrate of 35 - 60mbit.

The only drawback to Avid is that it is extremely slow. I will say it is so slow that it is excluded from any serious work!

On Canopus website, they claim their version 4 of Edius broadcast is out, it will support XDCAM HD.
I have preordered an upgrade, as soon as I receive it, you will get a report about the capability to work with the HD files!

I am software only, so I donít need to wait for the hardware support which will arrive later!

John Godwin July 14th, 2006 09:29 AM

Brian,

I'm upgrading to liquid chrome, which I expect will help with the liquid speed when editing HD and also integrates well into my setup. I'm curious how you are doing the export you mentioned. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
John

Michael Campanella August 6th, 2006 06:38 AM

I was just going to make this thread. I'm really looking forward to being able to rent and import from the XD CAM directly into my PowerBook, soon to be MacBook Pro!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network