FCP XDCAM Transfer is out! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

FCP XDCAM Transfer is out!

Just downloaded and installed. I'll be testing it in two jiffys.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...M_Transfer.zip

Always nice to see Mike Curtis is looking out for us!
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Well, it works. :-)

Looks like it has quite a bit more functionality than the Flip4Mac plugin.

Since I only have sample MXFs I can't comment on FAM access. Greg?
Old July 7th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Wrangler

Just downloaded...give me a few minutes.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Wrangler

OK, I have been doing some tests. Although they say it only supports clips in 25mb mode, I have imported a clip that was done at 60p overcrank. The bitrate is halved to 17.5 VBR from the 35mb VBR quality setting because the vertical resolution is halved on overcrank. But it unwrapped just fine. I am going to upload it to the server.

It's a 39mb file of lighting an artillery shell (consumer firework). I had the shutter off so it's equal the framerate.

-gb-
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM   #5
New Boot

I tried importing 35mb 30p and 60i. I can view it in the viewer however an error message pops up stating that this version does not support the codec. Otherwise it seems to be working pretty well. Quick and easy to use...

Update: can't import 30p in 25mb only 60i and 24p

Last edited by Troy Wilson; July 7th, 2006 at 02:17 PM.
Troy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #6
Wrangler

Okay...here is the Quicktime file produced by XDCAM Transfer from the original MXF clip.

http://media.dvinfo.net/slomofireworks.movx

Do not click the link, use right click and save as or else you'll see a browser window full of garbage. Download then remove the 'x' from the end of the filename to play it.

-gb-
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Wilson
I tried importing 35mb 30p and 60i. I can view it in the viewer however an error message pops up stating that this version does not support the codec. Otherwise it seems to be working pretty well. Quick and easy to use...

Update: can't import 30p in 25mb only 60i and 24p

That's correct Troy. This version doesn't support 35mb rate. That's why I was surprised to see it would do the slo-mo stuff. I was of the impression that this version does not support 18mb rate either. But clearly it knows how to handle 17.5mb vbr so perhaps it will do the 18mb vbr files as well.

I am going to do a quick test shot to see. What happens when you try to bring in 30p from 25mb mode?

-gb-
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
What happens when you try to bring in 30p from 25mb mode?

-gb-
Same error message. The 24p stuff works fine. It all seems to correspond to the preset XDCAM sequences that came with the software. I figured the 35mb stuff won't work yet but it was worth a try...
Troy Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Wrangler

It won't accept the 18mb vbr stuff. They said it wouldn't, but like you, I had to try. Just seems odd that it will accept it when it's 35mb at half speed for slo-mo stuff. Both clips show as 17.5mb VBR.

-gb-
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #10
Trustee

I think the whole thing is odd. I don't see why they bothered to release something that won't allow people to use the datarate that they will most often use.

Not good at all. The Mac is really getting a raw deal when it comes to XD.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #11
Wrangler

Looks like Blackmagic doesn't like the overcranked shots.

Since the file is really 1440x540, it's more scaling than Blackmagic can manage in real time. when trying to play in viewer out to BM, it sticks on a still frame.

When put in a timeline, it invokes the orange RT bar. Renders out fine though. wonder how Kona does? FCP displays fine in viewer and canvas, though, without any complaints.

[edit: The Apple XDCAM HD whitepaper mentions this as it turns out. "Overcranked shots will have to be rendered"]

Last edited by Nate Weaver; July 7th, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Looks like Blackmagic doesn't like the overcranked shots.

Since the file is really 1440x540, it's more scaling than Blackmagic can manage in real time. when trying to play in viewer out to BM, it sticks on a still frame.

When put in a timeline, it invokes the orange RT bar. Renders out fine though. wonder how Kona does? FCP displays fine in viewer and canvas, though, without any complaints.

[edit: The Apple XDCAM HD whitepaper mentions this as it turns out. "Overcranked shots will have to be rendered"]
Nate, when I play back an overcrank .MOV created by XDCAM XFER, its resolution is still reported as 1920X1080 with a VBR of 17.5mb

-gb-
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #13
Wrangler

If you look at the properties of the mov in Quicktime Pro, it reads 1440x540.

When it comes to Quicktime files, there's the true resolution of the file, what it's been scaled to view at by the file creator, and then what the file was modified to play at by the user. It's really kinda crazy, there's can be 3 sizes in a quicktime file.

Anyway, the different apps report them all differently at times. Check the file out in QT Pro.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
If you look at the properties of the mov in Quicktime Pro, it reads 1440x540.

When it comes to Quicktime files, there's the true resolution of the file, what it's been scaled to view at by the file creator, and then what the file was modified to play at by the user. It's really kinda crazy, there's can be 3 sizes in a quicktime file.

Anyway, the different apps report them all differently at times. Check the file out in QT Pro.
I was referring to QT Pro playback earlier, all three sizes are being reported at 1920X1080. Have a look.

-gb-
Attached Thumbnails
FCP XDCAM Transfer is out!-fireworksovercrankscreengrab.jpg  
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #15
Wrangler

I know, here's the info panel you get when you Apple-I:
Attached Images

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts