PDW-F330 vs. JVC HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 23rd, 2006, 07:44 PM   #16
Major Player

As far as I understand there is no difference between DV and DVCAM except for the tape transport mechanics. So recording DVCAM to disk is no difrferent to recording DV to disk.

The only exception might be locked audio. Not sure if that still relates to the media or codec though, and my JVC DV500 records DV with locked audio as well so it is certainly something you can do with 'DV'.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
As far as I understand there is no difference between DV and DVCAM except for the tape transport mechanics. So recording DVCAM to disk is no difrferent to recording DV to disk.

The only exception might be locked audio. Not sure if that still relates to the media or codec though, and my JVC DV500 records DV with locked audio as well so it is certainly something you can do with 'DV'.
Both NTSC DV and DVCAM use 4:1:1 compression and the same bit rate of 25mbs. DVCAM is locked audio and on tape transport, it records a wider track pitch to guard against dropout so your 60 minutes is reduced to 40. It also uses locked audio.

You can record DVCAM to disk which gives you 85-90 minutes. But these cameras don't record DV to disk so it's a non-issue.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

no question on 330

For us, the amount of time saved in logging alone makes this camera's price easily worth it. Yes, it looks really great (and I mean really great with the Fujinon bottom HD lens), but you've got to check out the xdcam file transport features to get the whole pictures. It's just a whole different (better) way of working from a tape based, linear situation. Essentially, it's the last piece of the non-linear puzzle. There's a reason Apple is pushing this so hard all of the sudden - a reason Comcast and CBS just moved all of their hd production to this camera - the workflow is awesome.

Max

Max Kaiser
Director, Hand Crank Films
http://www.handcrankfilms.com
Max Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM   #19
Major Player

I dont know why but for what the xdcam does it almost seems like a bargain. 20k and you get one screaming hd camcorder using 1/2 inch sensors and writes to blu ray disks. I have heard nothing but good things about them too.

Almost makes me wish I would not have bought the hd100s. I needed them though and there is no way I could pump out 40k for two of these.

Oh well, and by the time I have the money for one of these, red will be available.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:43 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Both NTSC DV and DVCAM use 4:1:1 compression and the same bit rate of 25mbs. DVCAM is locked audio and on tape transport, it records a wider track pitch to guard against dropout so your 60 minutes is reduced to 40. It also uses locked audio.

You can record DVCAM to disk which gives you 85-90 minutes. But these cameras don't record DV to disk so it's a non-issue.

-gb-
Do you know if DV footage and DVcam footage can be edited in FCP hassle free in the same timeline, or does one or other have to be converted?

Thanks
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Major Player

"and there is no way I could pump out 40k for two of these. "
And this is the most important thing for you then. Like me, a camera is only good to me if I can afford it, otherwise it is next to useless no matter what its features.

"Do you know if DV footage and DVcam footage can be edited in FCP hassle free in the same timeline, or does one or other have to be converted?"
Once on disk as a file there is no difference between DV and DVCAM, the codecs themselves are the same.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts