Getting or creating lens files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 8th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Getting or creating lens files

How do I get or create a lens file? Are there lens files on the XDCAM HD firmware update as someone suggested? Can you create one in the menu by setting the offsets (whatever the hell those are)?

If so, what would be the procedure? And even if so, is this something best left to an expert?

Must you get the file already created and input it via the memory card?

This is a completely new area of knowledge (well, actually "area of ignorance" is more accurate) for me. I am totally in the dark and would love to hear from someone who knows this topic well.

The lens I'm using is the Fujinon XS13x3.3 BRM (boys is this sucker wide).

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Lens files

The new Sony updater firmware release hopefully has the additional lens files for additional lens. One has to do a proceedure with the lens to get the camera to communicate and then ID it. I will post the proceedure,that I got from Sony. I have NOT as yet updated the camera to the latest firmware, so it has NOT ID'ed the lens. There are several dip switches on the lens that have to be in the correct position and then 2 buttons on the lens have to be pressed to light up a led under the dip switches for the camera to communicate to the lens. I got this working, but since I did not upgrade the camera's firmware the camera did not reconize the lens. Only 2 lens files were included with the original cameras firmware, hopefully the others for the additional Funjions are included.

I will post the proceedure when I get to the office.
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill
The new Sony updater firmware release hopefully has the additional lens files for additional lens. One has to do a proceedure with the lens to get the camera to communicate and then ID it. I will post the proceedure,that I got from Sony. I have NOT as yet updated the camera to the latest firmware, so it has NOT ID'ed the lens. There are several dip switches on the lens that have to be in the correct position and then 2 buttons on the lens have to be pressed to light up a led under the dip switches for the camera to communicate to the lens. I got this working, but since I did not upgrade the camera's firmware the camera did not reconize the lens. Only 2 lens files were included with the original cameras firmware, hopefully the others for the additional Funjions are included.

I will post the proceedure when I get to the office.
I have it, have done the firmware update, and enabled the serial comm from the lens. It will add zoom and focus position readouts to the VF and LCD. It does recognize the lens name and mfgr now. I did not post the procedure because it's worded with warnings about damaging camera and/or lens if the two aren't compatible. After talking with my local Fujinon tech, he indicated that the XDCAM HD cameras are okay to turn this feature on with. Some cameras are incompatible which is why the factory leaves it off by default.

-gb
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Serial data communication lenses - Sony-cameras.pdf (110.3 KB, 3310 views)
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Lens files

Greg- with that being said. Why did you do the update for the camera with software not released for US according to Sony US? I have been patiently waiting for US release. I have the Euopean updates but have not done the update, though I must admit, I may still proceed.

Regards
Steve
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Greg- with that being said. Why did you do the update for the camera with software not released for US according to Sony US? I have been patiently waiting for US release. I have the Euopean updates but have not done the update, though I must admit, I may still proceed.

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I just added the PDF procedure to my previous message. I did the firmware update because I was going to do a write-up for DVINFO. One of my contacts at Sony gave me the firmware in advance, and a copy of the existing firmware should it be necessary to flash back to the original. Sony US is a bit more cautious about releasing the software because they want to make sure it's solid. They actually gave it to some of their larger customers in late September to give it a good shake-down.

I haven't found anything that should prevent you from doing the update. You should also get the new version of the Proxy Browsing software for Windows to go with it. It fixes the Partial FAM copy bug that I reported back in June.

-gb-
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Greg- Thank you, for the PDF. I whished Sony would show one face to the customer, as far as site(s) to download software, now that they are also in the software business.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #7
Major Player

Greg- do you have instructions to do upgrade, seems like I have no D04 Rom version menu after doing the first part of the upgrade. This is based on a word doc posted here.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Greg- do you have instructions to do upgrade, seems like I have no D04 Rom version menu after doing the first part of the upgrade. This is based on a word doc posted here.
I've seen that word doc and it's accurate. Do you have the files in the correct directory hierarchy on the memory stick? The camera won't find them anywhere else. If so, hold down the front of body REC and push in on the menu knob while powering up the camera. This will initiate the first part. After it's completed, shut down the camera and power it back up in normal fashion. You should now be able to go into the full menu by holding down the menu knob while toggling the menu switch to ON. Go to Diagnostics, and then page 4 where you should see the ROM version.

-gb-
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes- all the files are there in the correct dir structure, It does the first part of upgrading the firmware just fine, I get a complete message. Then I shutdown and power-up go to diag, but no menu 04 under diag.

now I am wondering if I upgraded to same level of software. can you forward your package files to me?
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Ok I found the prolbem I downloaded the existing version..

Reading the Word file posted on this site.
"How to upgrade Software from version PKG-1.06/AT1.21"

It shoud read:

How to upgrade Software from existing version PKG-1.06/AT1.21 to version PKG-1.56/AT1.50

My Mistake... The latest version as of 11-2006 is "PKG-1.56/AT1.50" from Sony's FTP site.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Ok I found the prolbem I downloaded the existing version..

Reading the Word file posted on this site.
"How to upgrade Software from version PKG-1.06/AT1.21"

It shoud read:

How to upgrade Software from existing version PKG-1.06/AT1.21 to version PKG-1.56/AT1.50

My Mistake... The latest version as of 11-2006 is "PKG-1.56/AT1.50" from Sony's FTP site.
Well there ya go! Glad you found the issue. Let us know when you get the firmware totatlly updated. There is also a new version of the owner's manual in PDF format. Hope you were able to grab that as well.

-gb-
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Major Player

Got the camera upgraded- I am having difficulties getting the lens to communicate. Followed the PDF instructions, not sure what menu on the camera should be turned on for this F04 Lens Auto Recall? is on. But after the proceedure The lens information is not being displayed. I have the Fujinon HS16x4.6BERM-M38.. Any ideas?
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #13
New Boot

I have the same lens on the 330, also not communicating. Are there any significant advantages to having the len communicate other than zoom and focus positions?
Bob Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #14
Major Player

Sony- NJ Tech support told me that the only thing that the lens comm does is ID the lens in the menu and display the zoom and focus in the VF.. But who knows, as they said that lens was supported as well. Good to hear from someone who also could not get the lens to make the handshake. I will pass it along to Sony.
Old November 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Wrangler

Okay, since I have mine working, let's make sure you did everything correctly.

One important thing is that you MUST have the camera powered on as you switch the dip-switch 1 and 4 to ON with all others off. Hopefully you'll make a note as to which ones were on beforehand so you can set them back correctly when you're done.

So after setting swtiches while power is ON, hold the quickzoom and return buttons down for about 6 seconds until the little green led comes on below the dip switches. You've just turned on serial comm.

Set the switches back to their original position and power down the camera.

When you power up, go to the lens file page and turn on Auto Recall. What this will do is ID that lens when attached everytime you power up the camera. You will still need to create your own lens file offsets and store them under the F.ID that is supplied from the camera when it recognizes the lens. Once stored, with auto recall on, the camera upon power up will see that it has lens X attached and will look through its lens files for a matching lens X file. If found, it will automatically recall that file on power up.

The other benefit, as mentioned, is that you now get zoom (percent), and focus (meters) displayed in the VF.

The first time I did it, I didn't have power on when I changed the switches so when I subsequently powered up and held the two buttons on the lens, nothing happened.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts