Have to buy asap, DSR450, XDCAM 350 or 330? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old November 19th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Basically I think Simon is referring to the main differences i.e:

HD/SDI out, BNC timecode I/O, Overcrank mode = Broadcast
Component out, cheaper price = Corporate

But don't take that as one can't be used for the other because they can; simple as that.
Nigel Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Alister (and Nigel!)

I am rarely going to do multi camera work so I think I made the right choice (and used the savings to buy the 20x hd lens)

By the way Nigel, you can use the XD as a standard DV device for NLE systems that dont have XD compatibility in them (of course only for SD not ND)
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #18
Trustee

My reasons were pretty much exactly as Alister described. No need to spend money on features that won't be needed, especially in the low level corporate/industrial sector.

Alister, have you tried the STD gamma with the new firmware? I notice that the default knee point has now been lowered to 85%.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #19
Trustee

Simon,

How easy is to update the firmware?
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #20
Wrangler

So Phil, did you get your lens issue taken care of yet?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:13 AM   #21
Trustee

lens issue? you mean what i described with the stock k autofocus lens?

I didnt buy that one, I went with the 20x canon HD lens.
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #22
Trustee

I mentioned wide angle adaptors before, I used to have one for my Beta SX, it was v good quality, but not zoom through.

All I need is something I can just have in my bag when I need to shoot something a little wider, spur of the moment stuff. I can't afford a proper HD wide angle and will hire in for each specific job. But as my current project is SD, and a lot will still be SD for a while. I would consider a 1/2 SD wide angle but I am still keen for just having a wangle adaptor just in my bag...can anyone recommend any for the 82mm filter thread of my lens?

Am sure Century do one, as I have hired a fish eye from them before that was 82mm bayonet.
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
lens issue? you mean what i described with the stock k autofocus lens?

I didnt buy that one, I went with the 20x canon HD lens.
Oh, ok Phil. From your post above I thought you were complaining about the back focus issue and then going on to say that you bought the lens on Alister's recommendation. Didn't realize you were talking about two different lenses at that point.

Anyway, the K lens has an auto FB routine as I described so you weren't getting a fair representation of that lens if it wasn't set properly.

Looks like you're all set then. If you need to do the firmware update, review the related thread here in the XDCAM forum. One of the posts has a Word document file attached and the instructions are exactly correct.

Not at all difficult to do.

-gb-
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #24
Wrangler

Quote:
I mentioned wide angle adaptors before, I used to have one for my Beta SX, it was v good quality, but not zoom through.

All I need is something I can just have in my bag when I need to shoot something a little wider, spur of the moment stuff. I can't afford a proper HD wide angle and will hire in for each specific job. But as my current project is SD, and a lot will still be SD for a while. I would consider a 1/2 SD wide angle but I am still keen for just having a wangle adaptor just in my bag...can anyone recommend any for the 82mm filter thread of my lens?

Am sure Century do one, as I have hired a fish eye from them before that was 82mm bayonet.
We used a Century Optics .8 WA on my lens at a recent shoot. It attached over the end of the lens using three thumb screws. To prevent damage to the finish on the lens, we wrapped it with gaffer's tape several times which also helped enlarge the diameter so that we didn't have to turn the screws so far to get it on and off. This was an SD adapter and performed quite well.

Just FYI,

-gb-
Old November 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #25
Trustee

Thanks Greg,

Which lens did you mount it on and do you by any chance know which model adaptor it was? I am also assuming I don't want an adaptor for IF lenses?

The info about the back focus not being set on the stock lens if very interesting. I have emailed the company who demonstrated it and told them they hadn't set it up properly. I made the right choice buying the "proper" canon HD lens, an extra 2.5 k but worth it for all the proper controls, proper macro, proper focus!

Last edited by Phil Bloom; November 19th, 2006 at 07:28 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Simon: Gamma 1 is better with the new firmware. The lowered knee gives a better highlight roll-off, but I still much prefer all of the cine gammas. Looks like the knee on cine 3 has benn pulled down a little as well.

I have used my Optex 0.7/0.5 W.A adapter on my Canon 20x6.4. You use Macro to focus this lens and it is a very big lump of glass. It's excellent for SD, but at 0.5 it is rather too soft for HD especially at the edges. At 0.7 it's useable for the odd wide shot.
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #27
Trustee

would either of these be a good bet?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._W_A_Lens.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Also, if I decide to get an sd 1/2" W angle, what is the mount called for the f330 that i need to search for?
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Phil,

I'm using a 82mm Red Eye on my F350 with Fuji 18X5.5 BERM, works fine but no zoom through. However with some practice you can zoom a bit and refocus using the macro focus ring.

Studiodaily.com just had a article on it.
http://www.studiodaily.com/studiomon...ssue/7289.html

cheers

Morton
Morton Molyneux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #29
Trustee

Thanks Morton,

Is there any loss in sharpness at all?
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Also, if I decide to get an sd 1/2" W angle, what is the mount called for the f330 that i need to search for?
1/2" lenses come in the Sony variety and the Panasonic/JVC variety. The ones marked as Pana/JVC will NOT work on the Sonys.

I have a Canon broadcast series 1/2" lens made for the DSR-300s, and it's superb. As 1/2" lenses go it's pretty rare (not many people wanted to spend $15k on a lens for a $11k camera).

If you can find one, a H9ax3.8 IRS or KRS is highly recommended from me. (what I have).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts