xdcam VS hv10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Yeah, but....

The bright areas do look overexposed, but the darker values are not any brighter than the F350 frame. This is because the camera doesn't have as much latitude (dynamic range), that is if you expose the darker and the mid-tone values correctly, which I would say the videographer did here, the camera can't also expose the brighter areas acceptably.

If the HV10 was exposed to make the sky and roofs look perfect, it would probably go muddy (lose detail) in the dark areas. That, among many, many other things, is why people buy more expensive video cameras or shoot in film.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #17
Major Player

HV10 is also probably tuned more to look consumerish, and blow the image a bit. Good dynamic range will actually just look flat to consumers.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

from my experience with canons, you gotta underexpose, like, to the point were you feel uncomfortable about it..
Eric Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gorski View Post
from my experience with canons, you gotta underexpose, like, to the point were you feel uncomfortable about it..
Yes, you'd underexpose to save your highlights, meanwhile everything else in the HV0 frame becomes darker. Then, the cameras are not at the same exposure, making the comparison meaningless.

I think you're not really familiar with what latitude means...

The HV10, compared to a higher end camera like the 350, has less overexposure latitude. That is why the sky appears brighter. You could dial down the exposure to save the highlightsint he sky, but then you couldn't see into the shadows the way the 350 does.

This is the nature of cheaper cameras/smaller chips, to oversimplify.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

please same testing in low light ;)

but i respect to HV10 (price vs dynamic range)
Pond5 – the world’s first web-based stock footage marketplace –
Robert Batta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:24 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver View Post
This is the nature of cheaper cameras/smaller chips, to oversimplify.
If you look closer you can see that the ENTIRE frame is overexposed compared to the others so you can't really draw conclusions about dynamic range.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
If you look closer you can see that the ENTIRE frame is overexposed compared to the others so you can't really draw conclusions about dynamic range.
I can. It doesn't take a propeller beanie and a waveform monitor to make this determination.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM   #23
Major Player

Take another look...

Like Nate says, the values in this scene vary from dark to light too much for the HV10 to expose all of them correctly. Would it be better to lose the darker areas and get a better looking sky?

Maybe, however we're not looking at these pictures with those choices in mind, but rather in what they reveal about the cameras. This picture, exposed as it is, served that function perfectly as the difference in latitude between it and the F350 was clearly evident.

Now where's my propellor beanie...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM   #24
Major Player

Specifics...

Long drive home from work, jelling out at the computer, so I'm going to donate some time for a worthy cause. Look at the following areas:

1) Note all the dark grey objects such as the railing in the foreground, the rounded panels below the railing, and the grey roof area. They are exposed almost identically in the HV10 and F350 pictures. Arguably, these and the greens in the foliage are as important as any values in the picture and they're exposed correctly, so they provide a reference for overall exposure.

2) Note that the HV10 is holding shadow detail well in the dark areas, a good place to look is in the two o'clock direction from the stuffed toy between the two buildings. Notice that these dark areas look almost the same in both shots. If the HV10 were to have been stopped down, this detail would be gone.

3) Now look at the pole that is closest to the camera toward the right of frame. Notice the difference in gradients from shadow on the left to bright sun on the right. That one element alone illustrates what latitude is and demonstrates how it differs between these two cameras.

4) Note the stuffed animal. With the grey railing its sitting on the same in both pictures as noted above, the F350 holds tecture and color saturation in the stuffed animal's face while the HV10 is totally blown out.

I wondered for a moment if the sun went behind a cloud or something and gave the F350 an evener and thus easier exposure challenge, but a look at the hard shadows (most easily seen in the patio at center/bottom of frame in both pictures) indicate that there was full sun in both shots.

Now all this having been said, there are so many variables in how today's cameras can be set that this comparison is not just camera to camera but could also reflect differences in setup. Clearly, for example, the F350 is white balance more toward blue, and helps to bring out the blue in the sky but mutes the reddish tints in some of the tiles in comparison the HV10.

The bottom line here is that the HV10 does impress greatly, as do all of the cameras within their respective price/performance and form factor niches.

Tip

Tip
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM   #25
Major Player

No, that's not how you spell texture...

I hate reading my posts and seeing something spelled rong.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM   #26
Regular Crew

hv10

hv10 footage 1920x1080 10m

http://www.camuser.co.kr/cam_vm/VID_...7/02/test1.wmv
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts