F330 file transfer mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:31 AM   #1
New Boot

F330 file transfer mode

Since I can't afford F350 with some decent lens I will have to buy F330 but I have a problem. Since there is no SDI on F330 is it possible to connect camcorder via Firewire and use file transfer mode to copy the recordings to PC? Is there any difference in visual quality between recordings transfered via SDI and FTM? I also can't afford to buy a deck so I'm looking for the best way to transfer recordings from F330 to PC. I'm fine with MXF and I don't really need SDI in my workflow. If I can just copy files from F330 to PC in full quality then that's great. Thanks.
Zvonimir Miksic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

That's exactly what the F330 and F350 do best. Switch the camera to FAM mode and you can copy the HD or SD files at their full quality directly to a PC or Mac. You will need to ensure your edit software can work with the Sony MXF files. If you have the right version of Edius or Vegas you can then send the finished edit as an MXF back to the camera, so no deck needed.

If your edit application dosn't support MXF you can use the camera in Firewire mode and export OUT of the firewire port a standard SD, DV compatible video stream. This is either the raw DV if shot in DVCAM mode or a SD DV downconvert if shot in HD. There is no Firewire input in the traditional sense.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank you very much for the info.
Zvonimir Miksic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts