XDCam 350 and Litepanels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCam 350 and Litepanels

Hello All
I am looking into a Litepanels set-up for some outdoor shooting so I am looking at the 56k set-up. My question is how to power the litepanel from the camera? I see the the 350 has a 12V output but I can not seem to find any Litepanel set-up that has the same kind of input as the 350's output. What am I missing? I would like to power the light of the camera to keep the weight down cause it is a long day of handheld stuff. Any Help would be great. Thanks
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have a Litepanel 5600 flood. They sell a D-tap to panel cable as part of the full kit. I'm sure you can buy it separately as well.

Using the panel with the 350's switched d-tap on the front is awesome.

You mention you want it for outdoor shooting, I assume you mean just for fill on people's faces when they have some shadows on a sunny day...and even then, when they're within 2ft of your lens.

The Litepanel is very bright for an on-camera light, but there's not many things that are a match for sunlight.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

your right

Yes Nate I need it to use it to fill in the eyes of the talent. They wear a hat all day and it just kills me every time I see this black hole where their eyes are suppose to be. That is taking it to an extreme but you get the idea. I was hoping for more then 2 feet. Thanks for the info it is probably the best bet as I do not have someone you can bounce the light for me with a reflector.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

You might be able to get 3-4ft out of it, especially if it's a spot. Usual case of exaggeration to make the point, on my part.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Major Player

I'm with Nate. If you haven't tested it out yet, do it before you spend the money. I've had the original Lite Panels since very early on. It's an amazing light for many applications...but outdoors it does little...very little. May not be worth the money or the juice to run it...:-)
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
2nd Unit TV

As most everyone knows, LitePanels is one of our original sponsors and while we appreciate their support, 2nd Unit is all about what works and what doesn't. Indoors, LitePanels are incredible as Nate says however they are simply underpowered as a daylight fill in all but the most overcast of overcast situations. It's not the fault of LitePanels but rather the fact that LED technology hasn't progressed far enough to solve for the intensity versuses diffusion issue; that is, the farther the subject is from the lens plane, the higher the requisite intensity and LED technology can't be puyshed that far. And unfortunately it's exponential. While "x" is required to properly light a subject at 1 foot, 2 feet isn't "x" times 2. It's more like "x" times 10 and 10 feet is more like 50 times. It's amazing what the company has gotten the available technology to do so far and it's advancing all the time but physics are physics and there's no getting around that. Your money is best suited taking the $1700 or so the 1X1 or the $1000 or so the on-board "brick" light would cost and hiring a buddy to hand-hold the proper reflector to remove unwanted shadows. Besides that, the majority of the houses that sell the units are backordered until April like Filmtools.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts