Anyone shot in a swimming pool? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 7th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Anyone shot in a swimming pool?

I have a job coming up in April filming some diving (board not underwater) in a swimming complex. I will be using a 350 and a 330. I have been told it takes several hours for a camera to settle in to a hot humid enviroment! I presume the disc mechanism will be more stable than tape, but wonddered about steaming up of the optics. Any ideas or suggestions

Andy
Andy Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

keep the camera at same temperature as it will be in swimming pool an there will be no problem. avoid to leave any equipement overnight in the garage or car's trunk.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Walton View Post
I have a job coming up in April filming some diving (board not underwater) in a swimming complex. I will be using a 350 and a 330. I have been told it takes several hours for a camera to settle in to a hot humid enviroment! I presume the disc mechanism will be more stable than tape, but wonddered about steaming up of the optics. Any ideas or suggestions

Andy
Some of the Fujinon lenses have a field replaceable pack of drying agent in the lens to prevent fogging. I haven't determined whether the 1/2 XDCAM HD lenses have them or not. And yes, the disc won't be a problem. It was explained to me by Sony that any condensation that does manage to form on the disc surface gets spun off due to centrifugal force as soon as the camera is powered up. But because the disc is enclosed and the camera's disc mechanism is enclosed, there's virtually no chance for condensation build-up in the first place.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
2nd Unit TV

These guys have pretty well covered it but remember, despite the fact that Panasonic is "The Official Camera of the Iditerod" right now, Sony already "Been There, Done That". The temperature specs are on the camera because of the lawyers. The XDCAM has been used in the wettest and driest environments imaginable and the pictures are, in a word, incredible and stunning. OK, two words.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Major Player

On a side note - I've recently bought an excellent underwater housing for my Sony Z1 - with 80 and 110 degree WA lenses - would be interesting to see the results of using this with your footage :)

Paul.
Paul Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Provided the camera/lens is equal to, or warmer than the ambient temperature then condensation won't occur. However in a swimming pools where the humidity is close to 100% and the air temperature may be higher than most rooms/cars, then you could get a problem. One solution is to put the camera in a plastic bag with some silica gel sachets before you take it in to the swimming pool and allow it to warm up inside the bag. The lens is likely to be most problematic. You should also consider that if you do get condensation inside the lens this can make any dust or dirt that is inside the lens stick to the lens elements, when the condensation clears the dirt remains, possibly requiring a professional service/clean.

I have filmed in several swimming pools and I have not had any problems, but a steamed up lens can prove costly.
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks

thanks for all the suggestions, I'll report back in May after the Job

Andy
Andy Walton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts