DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/)
-   -   XDCAM post production help needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-eng-efp-shoulder-mounts/89315-xdcam-post-production-help-needed.html)

Immanuel Martin March 19th, 2007 09:41 AM

XDCAM post production help needed

I am in post on a feature shot with the XDCAM. We have been cutting the film on a Premiere/Matrox Axio system. Unfortunately, we won't have access to the system after about a week and a half.

I am trying to research what options are available to me to continue post on this film without access to an Axio based system.

We have locked picture so I don't anticipate needing to actually edit other then incorporating some FX shots. We still need to do color correction and a final export of the full res HD film.

At this point the only option I can identify is exporting as uncompressed QT or AVI. The only isssue here is I won't have RAID on the edit system I plan to use going forward so I won't be able to effectively work with the footage.

My question is can anyone recommend a workflow at this point, perhaps using a codec like Cineform, that will enable me to continue work on the project after I lose access to the Axio based system I am currently using?

Thanks in advance!

Hornady Setiawan March 19th, 2007 09:52 PM

Hi,
first of all, i'm not familiar with AXIO, but knows premiere well.
second, everything now in HD workflow are still in infancy, so HD no workflow is 100% bulletproof. Every HD workflow now is still 'experimental', so u must try first and prepare troubleshoot later.

if i understrand your situation correctly, here are my suggestions:

1. use decklink HD / premiere 2 with BM 8 or 10bit codec
- you have to install a sonnet PCI-E RAID of 5 drives. (about $2000 for 2.5TB, makesure mobo has PCI-E 4x)
- make a new decklink hd project, import the old axio project.
- then redigitize using HD-SDI.

2. use decklink HD / premiere 2 with BM MJPEG codec
- you may not have to buy 5 HD RAIDs, just install a 2 or 4 drive RAID in motherboard's onboard SATA. (most mobos today have at least 4 SATA ports)
- make a new decklink hd project, import the old axio project.
- then redigitize (using HD-SDI) to AVI BM MJPEG.

3. use premiere without hardware HD card
- consolidate your premiere project and transcode the medias into a good compressed format, such as mainconcept MJPEG or others.
- then when final, u can output the timeline to hardisk as AVI or MOV uncompressed, or compressed, or even image sequence.
- then u can bring that hardisk to film ouput house.

4. use FCP with decklink HD system
- export EDL from premiere
- import EDL to FCP (makesure, test first if the EDL is compatible, if stuck, contact automatic duck)
- redigitize using HD-SDI

5. use any editing system
- in axio render the timeline as QT uncompressed or QT PNG (lossless & smaller)
- in the other editing system, create a new project (with compressed settings). Eg: in Premiere use MJPEG project setting. In FCP use Apple intermediate codec. Or in Avid Xpress Pro HD use DNxHD 120 setting.
- In the new project, to be able to playback the timeline u will have to render the timeline into compressed format compatible with the project settings. (in AVid u wont have to do this since avid already convert the media during import)
- edit & finalize
- then when final, u can output the timeline to hardisk as AVI or MOV uncompressed, or compressed, or even image sequence.
- then u can bring that hardisk to film ouput house.

Remember to compare quality of final output first, especially if your using compressed editing.
hope helps.

Immanuel Martin March 28th, 2007 10:31 AM

Hornady, thank you for your reply. We're evaluating our options. Hopefully we can stay in the Premiere/Axio realm.

Immanuel