XDCAM post production help needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Tourist

XDCAM post production help needed

I am in post on a feature shot with the XDCAM. We have been cutting the film on a Premiere/Matrox Axio system. Unfortunately, we won't have access to the system after about a week and a half.

I am trying to research what options are available to me to continue post on this film without access to an Axio based system.

We have locked picture so I don't anticipate needing to actually edit other then incorporating some FX shots. We still need to do color correction and a final export of the full res HD film.

At this point the only option I can identify is exporting as uncompressed QT or AVI. The only isssue here is I won't have RAID on the edit system I plan to use going forward so I won't be able to effectively work with the footage.

My question is can anyone recommend a workflow at this point, perhaps using a codec like Cineform, that will enable me to continue work on the project after I lose access to the Axio based system I am currently using?

Thanks in advance!
Immanuel Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,
first of all, i'm not familiar with AXIO, but knows premiere well.
second, everything now in HD workflow are still in infancy, so HD no workflow is 100% bulletproof. Every HD workflow now is still 'experimental', so u must try first and prepare troubleshoot later.

if i understrand your situation correctly, here are my suggestions:

1. use decklink HD / premiere 2 with BM 8 or 10bit codec
- you have to install a sonnet PCI-E RAID of 5 drives. (about $2000 for 2.5TB, makesure mobo has PCI-E 4x)
- make a new decklink hd project, import the old axio project.
- then redigitize using HD-SDI.

2. use decklink HD / premiere 2 with BM MJPEG codec
- you may not have to buy 5 HD RAIDs, just install a 2 or 4 drive RAID in motherboard's onboard SATA. (most mobos today have at least 4 SATA ports)
- make a new decklink hd project, import the old axio project.
- then redigitize (using HD-SDI) to AVI BM MJPEG.

3. use premiere without hardware HD card
- consolidate your premiere project and transcode the medias into a good compressed format, such as mainconcept MJPEG or others.
- then when final, u can output the timeline to hardisk as AVI or MOV uncompressed, or compressed, or even image sequence.
- then u can bring that hardisk to film ouput house.

4. use FCP with decklink HD system
- export EDL from premiere
- import EDL to FCP (makesure, test first if the EDL is compatible, if stuck, contact automatic duck)
- redigitize using HD-SDI

5. use any editing system
- in axio render the timeline as QT uncompressed or QT PNG (lossless & smaller)
- in the other editing system, create a new project (with compressed settings). Eg: in Premiere use MJPEG project setting. In FCP use Apple intermediate codec. Or in Avid Xpress Pro HD use DNxHD 120 setting.
- In the new project, to be able to playback the timeline u will have to render the timeline into compressed format compatible with the project settings. (in AVid u wont have to do this since avid already convert the media during import)
- edit & finalize
- then when final, u can output the timeline to hardisk as AVI or MOV uncompressed, or compressed, or even image sequence.
- then u can bring that hardisk to film ouput house.

Remember to compare quality of final output first, especially if your using compressed editing.
hope helps.
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Tourist

Hornady, thank you for your reply. We're evaluating our options. Hopefully we can stay in the Premiere/Axio realm.

Immanuel
Immanuel Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts