XDCAM transfer for FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM transfer for FCP

This is driving me nuts. At home, I'm basically using all XD material in AV/C mode because my XDCAM Transfer software isn't reading proxies.

I have to say, after all the hype, I'm really disappointed in FCP. I'm currently using Edius and have used GV Aurora nary a problem once the workflow is figured out. Even Vegas has worked better.

All that aside, I'm invested in the computer and software, and I'm determined to make it work.

I just want to edit via proxies and then conform the timeline with the full resolution files once finished. Please help?

2GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667 MHz RAM

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ernest Adams View Post
This is driving me nuts. At home, I'm basically using all XD material in AV/C mode because my XDCAM Transfer software isn't reading proxies.
What do you mean? You can't watch proxies in the Xfer software after they're copied over?

Quote:
I have to say, after all the hype, I'm really disappointed in FCP.
9 out of 10 times, in my experience, it's user error. Especially with new users. It's so easy usually to get started with FCP that when new users start getting involved beyond the basics (i.e. cutting DV material), they start running into problems.

Quote:
All that aside, I'm invested in the computer and software, and I'm determined to make it work.
Good. I think you'll be happy in the end if you invest the time

Quote:
I just want to edit via proxies and then conform the timeline with the full resolution files once finished. Please help?
Sure. FCP doesn't edit native XDCAM HD proxies yet. That info is kinda well known. There's hacks that can kinda get you there, but they're more work than they are worth. You have a fast, new machine, I recommend just cutting full res. On the newest Mac Pros I've worked on, XDCAM HD is almost as fast as DV.
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3
2nd Unit TV

Seconding that, Paolo finished the pilot at full ingest on the new MacBook Pro and a Lacie 500. He knows what he's doing but it went like a dream. It'll be at NAB at the coach Monday night.
Jonathan Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Matthew, I had an issue last fall with my system that turned out to be a codec conflict. I had 3IVX version 4.5.1 installed and didn't realize it was the problem until a complete re-install of OSX and FCP. After I did the re-install, it was working so I assumed that fixed it. After re-installing the 3IVX package XDCAM Transfer bombed again. I removed 3IVX and all was fine. My symptoms were different from yours but I mention this just to give you a heads up towards finding a software or codec conflict.

Try uninstalling any 3rd party codecs and see if that helps.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the great help Nate. I know you love the system and I wasn't "insulting" it. I know it works ... I have no issue editing full resolution other than the time to transfer and storage space. I'm outputting over 20 minutes of edited material most weeks and would like to cut down on the storage.

I cannot view proxies in my transfer application. Only about 2 of the 50 clips had thumbnail pics. Since I can't view the proxies, I cannot ingest partial clips.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #6
Wrangler

No sweat. Love is a strong word for my relationship with FCP. I might be in for a divorce if NAB doesn't bring some major changes.

I see a lot of posts here on DV Info with FCP users making really basic mistakes, mistakes they'd avoid if they just read the manual. And they make noise on here. A little consternating. RTFM is a little rude for the way we like to work here at DVi, but sometimes it's really hard not to type it. Sorry I lumped you in with them a little.

As far as proxies not happening, Greg's story is the only one I know that's pertinent, so I'd look into conflicting codecs.

When you get those working, here's the one way to edit with them:

1-Each proxy file needs to be the same name as the full res media, so to get that you need to "Export Proxy Movie to File" by right clicking on the thumbnail in the Xfer program. Put all these in a folder. As you save each one, reanme each takign the "Proxy of" off the front of the name. You want each proxy quicktime to be named the same as the full res media.

2-Open each one in Quicktime Player Pro. Hit Apple-J. You'll get a dialog with a view of each track in the file. For FCP to not crash upon importing these files, all audio tracks except "Soundtrack 1" need to be UNCHECKED. This disables them.

3-Now you can bring all these into FCP. Create a Offline RT HD sequence of the correct framerate, and away you go. You will get orange RT bars above a clip when bringing into the timeline, but they will play full frame rate.

4-Create your cut, and then later you can reconnect all your proxy clips to the full res files residing elsewhere on your disc. You'll have to change the Offline RT sequence to full res XDCAM HD as well.

All in all, this is far from a fun flow and I don't recommend it. I've tried a few times in the past to automate the file renaming and audio track disabling steps with Automator, but was only somewhat successful. I eventually gave up.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #7
Major Player

Nate

Your attempted workflow was the exact same as mine, with the same eventual conclusion ... more trouble than its worth. I wonder how many of us slaved over figuring that out, each unaware that someone else had already done or was doing it!!

Ah well, we live in hope of the long promised native proxy support from Apple and/or an open system from Sony to allow us to automate the high res subclip import.

Lets see what news comes our way next week.

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I don't understand why people want proxy editing. They are small in size, blurry and have awful sound. If you do editing that way you end up with shots out of focus or shots with other mistakes easily. If you edit in full res you see everything!

Harddisks are so cheap these days! You can put 15 full loaded XDCAM disks on a 99 euro 320 Gig harddisk. What are we talking about? I use only harddisks for storage. I have just 10 XDCAM disks that I reuse over and over. I store all my shots on two separate harddisks, one for editing/storing (imported by XDCAM-transfer) and one for back-up/storing (with MXF-files). If they fill up, I buy two new ones. It's cheaper, 2 disks x 99 = 198 euro, compared to 15 disks x 30 euro = 450 euro. This way I have a back-up and it works wicked fast!

Please drop proxies, if there is no need to use them.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #9
Wrangler

ISTR that you need to have FCP set to 99 levels of undo in the user preferences. I just don't remember what problem it prevents. But it's another thing you can check if you haven't done it already.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I use them a lot. On fast turnaround news edits I can start editing long before the full res media has transfered to the edit suite. I can be editing within seconds of plugging the camera into the Avid. Today for example I had 45 minutes to edit a sequence that needed me to load and look through 30 minutes of material. The only other way to have done this would be with a bulky linear edit suite. I imported the proxies did the edit and then re linked the full res clips and exported the finished 6min edit to WMV in 45 mins. Proxies are also very useful for giving to clients for off-line edits on low spec laptops or for sending over the internet for remote viewing. With FCP you can log or trim the clips within the XDCAM importer to save time during the edit.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaas van Urk View Post
I don't understand why people want proxy editing.
First reason is when you're editing off a laptop in the field and have limited disk space. Second reason, proxies import quickly, almost instantly on Edius, and when you're on a deadline, any extra time helps. Otherwise, I'd be downloading an entire 60+ minute disk for 3-4 minutes of edited material.
Matthew Ernest Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts